iPod iPod Classic: iFlash Solo's vs Dual's/Quad's

Auggie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
I'm trying to determine if there are actual functional differences between iFlash Solo's versus the Dual's/Quad's.

The description states JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks) which suggests that only one card can be accessed at any given time; i.e., I cannot have one consolidated library always accessible.

Is this a correct assumption?

I bought a "newer" 2.0.5 160GB Classic to serve as a backup to my recently upgraded 2.0.4 160GB (now 1TB) and am planning to upgrade the battery and capacity on newer model as well. I'm trying to decide between a Solo with a 512GB SDXC card or a Dual SDXC/Quad MicroSDXC.

Auggie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
That dual sd combines both cards into one. I think the best board is the quad microSD one.
I’ve been trying to contact the company via their online form but it keeps returning back an error and to use a different means to contact them but it doesn’t provide any of those alternative options.

Auggie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
UPDATE: Finally got a hold of the company via my order confirmation email. The duals and quads will hardware span all attached cards to provide a single concatenated (i.e. combined) storage volume to the iPod; exactly what I was hoping for.

usarioclave

macrumors 68000
Sep 26, 2003
UPDATE: Finally got a hold of the company via my order confirmation email. The duals and quads will hardware span all attached cards to provide a single concatenated (i.e. combined) storage volume to the iPod; exactly what I was hoping for.
I have my iPods fitted out with duals, but at some storage points the quads are most cost-effective. Just remember that the track limit. I hit it once and tried RockBox, but RockBox's UI was so bad I just got more iPods. I try to keep them around 450GB each. They're mostly filled with concerts (thanks archive.org!).

Auggie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
I have my iPods fitted out with duals, but at some storage points the quads are most cost-effective. Just remember that the track limit. I hit it once and tried RockBox, but RockBox's UI was so bad I just got more iPods. I try to keep them around 450GB each. They're mostly filled with concerts (thanks archive.org!).
I'm currently way under the 50,000 tracks that appears to be the upper limit: 11,000 tracks using up 140GB. This will equate to roughly 600GB for 50,000 tracks at present average track size.

But I'm in the process of replacing my mostly 128-192 bit-rate tracks with preferably lossless versions, or at least 320 bit, so that's really what's beginning to eat up space on my iPods, iPhone, and iPad.