Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
Hello, I've been thinking of getting an Ipod Classic. However, I have seen some problems being stated on wikipedia:

1.Acoustics issues
According to certain tests performed both by hearing and through computer analysis of the sound, the 6th Generation lacks sound quality in the mid range, and produces less spatial information (i.e. stereo sound plays 'inside your head' instead of 'outside') due to higher impulse in the treble, when compared with 5G.
What does this mean? So my sound quality will suck?

2.Some users have reported a fault in the design of the click wheel, notably a lack of responsiveness[10] In particular, on some models, it requires two to three full revolutions with a finger or thumb to receive a response.

3.Skipping or not playing a song fully

Are these problems fixed with the new update? Also, how durable is an ipod, like how long will they last if I don't drop them or damage them?

Thank you!

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
I'll just respond in numbered order that you posed the questions in:

1. Sound Quality - I have not noticed any deterioration in sound quality from the previous generation. If there is any, you will likely on notice it when playing extremely high quality songs over very expensive audio equipment. The only sound issue i've noticed is a slight hiss when the iPod is off that comes through the earbuds (a result of the latest iPod update). That hiss, however, does not come through while the iPod is on/music is playing. Since this was brought on with a software update, the next one released will likely fix this problem. Furthermore, I feel the Classic has the least amount of background noise of any iPods thus far... I hear very little to nothing whereas I could hear the hard drive spin in 5th and 4th gens... Overall I'm very satisfied with the Classic's audio quality.

2. I had this original unresponsiveness when i first picked the Classic up in September. Since then, Apple has released 2 major software updates which each time have improved this issue. It is now at the point where the click wheel is as fast or faster than the previous generation models. So as long as you update the iPod to the latest software, you won't have an issue with this.

3. Skipping songs occur in all generations of iPods, it is not unique to the Classic. It is a very rare occurrance, but does happen every now and again. The phenomenon is a result of the file, not the iPod... a small corruption if you will. If you notice it happens, you can try resyncing the file, playing it in other audio software to see if you notice any flaws in the audio etc, because sometimes if a file is a bit messed up, the iPod misreads it as being "over" and goes to the next song. This whole issue is blown out of proportion, you may not even have this ever happen to you, and if it does, it will happen on a very rare basis.

4. I mentioned which ones were addressed with updates in the answers themselves... The Classic is quite durable, but lifetime will depend on how you handle it. Since it's a hard drive based player that has moving parts, it is automatically "less durable" than a flash player, but it is by no means weak. As long as you avoid very rigorous activities that have loads of movement (heavy exercise) and keep it stored in optimal environments for the battery, the Classic will last you a good while. You shouldn't have to worry about the iPod pooping out on you, but after about 4-5 depending on usage it should be expected the iPod will begin to deteriorate.

Hope that helps.

wby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
Yes that helps; I was thinking of using my ipod as my external hard drive for music files, it can do that right? Also, what do you mean 4-5? Years? Thanks

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Yes that helps; I was thinking of using my ipod as my external hard drive for music files, it can do that right? Also, what do you mean 4-5? Years? Thanks

Yes, you can use the iPod as an external hard drive...it'll mount on your desktop just like a normal hard drive.

I would assume the 4-5 years reference is about the battery. With normal use, eventually you'll start to see a decrease in battery life.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
Yes, you can use the iPod as an external hard drive...it'll mount on your desktop just like a normal hard drive.

I would assume the 4-5 years reference is about the battery. With normal use, eventually you'll start to see a decrease in battery life.

Technically the unit as a whole, battery and hard drive were the main things though. The battery is quite strong in the Classic so you won't have to charge as much, meaning less cycles used so a more prolonged battery lifespan. The hard drive is difficult to tell how long it will "last" because it's really just how well the iPod was treated and depends also on how extensively it was used. Overall, don't worry about the lifespan of the iPod, it is a quality machine and as long as you treat it reasonably well it will serve you for years.

taylor200588

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Arbroath, Scotland
sorry to totally BUMP your thread

but i JUST bot a classic, only had it a couple hours and its still running the old firmware and will update it tomorrow so i cant tell you all about the battery and what not issues

BUT since only having it for a couple hours i HAVE noticed the very poor sound volume. My iPhone is waaaaaaay louder than this classic

and its pretty slow

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
sorry to totally BUMP your thread

but i JUST bot a classic, only had it a couple hours and its still running the old firmware and will update it tomorrow so i cant tell you all about the battery and what not issues

BUT since only having it for a couple hours i HAVE noticed the very poor sound volume. My iPhone is waaaaaaay louder than this classic

and its pretty slow

I found as soon as I put the update on the iPod it seems to have fixed the issues. After the update my classic seems to be a little more responsive, the click wheel doesn't seem to be as sluggish as before and the sound quality has improved (a little louder and not hiss).

wby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
hello, I just got my ipod, looks like everything's alright after the updates.

I want to know if it's easy to change song info after you transfer it to your ipod? Is it possible to make my ipod as my music hard drive, like can I view and change the songs on my ipod via itunes without syncing indirectly?

Also, can I get my itunes to use the folder name on my computer as the album's name?

Lastly, is there a shortcut to attach the album art on each album? I seem to have to do it song by song now and I want to attach the same picture on all the album's song.

Thanks!

thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.