Ipod Classic Lag

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Hoopdy, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

I'm thinking about returning my Touch for either a 80gb classic or 8gb nano, but I was wondering if the new Classic firmware fixed the lag issues it was having with cover flow, and such?

Is the 80gb a solid device? Would the hard drive in it withstand more than my 20gb photo? It sometimes has hard drive errors when I run.

2. evanrousso macrumors 6502

My 80gb classic is up to date and it still kind of lags.

Why are you getting rid of the touch? I was thinking of getting one, i haven't heard of many problems with the touch.

3. Hoopdy thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh boy, you haven't researched it much then. I previously had a Touch, even pre-ordered, but the screen issue and constant hiss on headphones was so irritating I returned it.

Thought those issues were over once I picked up a week 45 yesterday, but that was yet again another problem. Out of the box, the Touch would not output right audio, so only the left headphone would be receiving audio.

Very neat device, just poorly built. I think I may just go with the Nano.

4. DavoMrMac macrumors 6502

DavoMrMac

This is not a common issue, yes it seems to exist, but there are so many good 'touches' out there, I would not worry about buying one.

The 'classic' lag also exists, but it did improve with the last update... so future updates should also improve it further. They will probably compress Album Art more and then this will result in smaller file sizes and faster buffering.

5. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I have absolutely no lag with the last few updates, each improving it.. Now It's speedier than my older generation iPods were! The only real "lag" is when using coverflow or something like that which is dealing with a lot of graphics while playing music (that lag for me has been attributed to searching the HD for the album art though, a hardware limitation...)