iPod classic music menu question

Discussion in 'iPod' started by wantingmemories, Nov 21, 2007.

1. wantingmemories macrumors newbie

I just bought an ipod classic, and the music menu keeps bugging me. Is there a way I can set the song lists to show ONLY the song name (just like the older ipod's, like ipod video)? If I go music -> artist -> artist x -> album x each song name on the album shows the album name underneath. This is crazy, it looks cluttered and it takes ages to scroll. So is there a way I can change this?
    Thanks.

2. wantingmemories thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

My 3rd generation nano does not do this. :confused:
    For example, if I select: Music > Artists > Kanye West > Graduation, I just get the songs displayed on their own, without the album name below them. However, if I chose 'All Songs' for a particular artist, it will show the artist's name below each song.
    I don't know why it is different for you, but have you filled in the 'album artist' info for that artist? That could be a potential reason for this behavior.

4. wantingmemories thread starter macrumors newbie

oooh. yeah. you're right. it's when I choose "all songs" that the artist name shows underneath each song. But it's silly, because if I choose all songs by a certain artist, I wouldn't need them to list the artist underneath each song because they're all by the same artist! (that's a weird sentence, but you probably understood what I meant). Is there a way I can choose all songs without having the artist name under each song?

And same thing when I choose the artist name, under each album title it says how many songs that album contains, is there a way I can choose not to show that information?

And do I have to have the screen split in half when I view the different menus?

I miss my old ipod video. :(

5. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

you can change the split screen in settings I believe. I didnt really like it at first, but I love cover flow on those things.

6. wantingmemories thread starter macrumors newbie

but where under settings? I feel like I've checked everywhere, and I can't find anywhere I can change these things.

also, I chose in itunes not to show album cover art, but it still shows on my ipod.. I don't know why.

I'm starting to regret I even bought this ipod.

7. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I'm 100% certain that you cannot turn off the split screen mode. (Probably because its better).
    Also, why do you not want album art on your iPod?

8. wantingmemories thread starter macrumors newbie

In what way is it better??
    Because I don't have any album art for most albums so all I see is the gray square and it just feels unnecessary..

9. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I totally understand that for people with little to no album art, the new operating system on the iPod classic and nano can be annoying, but there is a solution...
    If you have an iTunes account, from iTunes' 'Advanced' menu, select 'Get Album Art'. That should get most of it for you, unless your music is quite obscure. If you don't have an iTunes account, then um, make one.

10. wantingmemories thread starter macrumors newbie

or... I'll just leave it as it is and get on with my life. :p

11. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Aah, don't get rid of it ;) I love Album art, why dont you just get it ;)
    But yeah , very weird they didnt allow you to switch to the old GUI. They're trying to force you in liking the new one ;)

12. hexonxonx macrumors 601

You can set iTunes so that it doesn't add any artwork to the iPod at all. I think it's on the main summary tab while the iPod is connected. Now the music note won't show up at all and just the song info will show on the screen.

13. wantingmemories thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the box I unchecked earlier and it didn't do anything.

The album art doesn't annoy me as much as the menu though.. the menu is really ugly.

14. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I see that now with the album art. I just unchecked the show album artwork on my iPod and synced. The artwork disappeared and it no longer showed up in the right pane but then for songs, it just showed the empty box with a music note. I understood that it should only show the song info, it does that on my old ipod Photo, if no artwork, the song title takes up the whole screen.

Hopefully there is an update that allows no boxes and no artwork for those who don't want that.

15. wantingmemories thread starter macrumors newbie

getting the album art from itunes won't cost me anything, will it?

16. hexonxonx macrumors 601

No, it's all free. What iTunes doesn't have, you can get from amazon. If you go to Amazon, search for the album, right click on the cover art and choose copy. Go to the album in iTunes, right click and choose get info. Select the artwork tab and paste the artwork into that box, or you can drag and drop.

17. wantingmemories thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, great. now the only problem is when I check the box to show the album art again, and I choose to synchronise, there's an unknown error (-50). so most of the album art doesn't show up (some of it I had before I unchecked the box, grr).

18. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Maybe the easiest thing to do would be to just restore the iPod.
    I hope your computer has USB 2.0! I had to restore one of my iPods recently, and 20GB of stuff over USB 1.1 took almost all night.

19. wantingmemories thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't kow how to do that.. would I lose all my music?

I think maybe the best thing is to live with the lost album art and the ****ed up menus and remember never to buy an ipod again.

20. x7tommy macrumors newbie

Menu Scrolling Problems

There is no way to change the double height text right now.

You should write to Apple and suggest they offer some way to adjust the user setting for Single or Double height rows. I don't know why they take away features when products get updated. Its Reediculous.