iPod Classic or future iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Meatball, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Meatball macrumors regular

My beloved original 5G 60Gb iPod has finally run out of storage and I'm in need of a replacement. I don't use my iPod out and about, I only use it in my car connected to my stereo (Alpine IDA-X100) and occasionally in the gym. My music collection is currently 62Gb as my collection is all lossless so I would like to get an iPod with space to grow into. Now I've been thinking, my options:

Buy an iPod Classic 120Gb

Advantages:
    • Storage space to grow into
    • Cheaper
    Disadvantages
    • Out dated
    • Likely to be phased out this year? What are the chances of a 120Gb iPod Touch being released with a hard drive or flash storage?

Buy a rumoured 64Gb iPod Touch
    Advantages:
    • Much better looking
    • Nicer interface, especially with coverflow on the bigger screen
    • Better for music videos
    Disadvantages:
    • Only 64Gb of space, I'd only be able to sync a certain amount of my library
    • More expensive
    • Possibility of the new model being incompatible with my car head unit

Any suggestions? I'm leaning more towards the iPod Classic but the MacRumors buyers guide states:
    Does that mean to be phased out? If so Apple would no longer have a large portable media player, with the most being a rumoured 64Gb iPod Touch. What are the chances of a 120Gb iPod Touch?

2. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

I don't see Apple killing the iPod Classic at this point. I think the chances of a HD-based touch are zero, and a 120GB SSD is pretty unlikely because of the high price Apple would have to ask for it.

I disagree that the touch has a nicer interface for playing music. In fact it's quite awkward, both for playback and for syncing, compared to the Classic, which has an elegant interface. This is especially true if you can't fit your entire library on the touch. I have that with my touch, and syncing is so funky that eventually I just created a separate playlist for it and manually add and delete songs to/from that playlist.

"Approaching the end of a cycle" does not mean it's about to be phased out; it means a new model or upgrade should be coming soon.