iPod Classic, or iPod Nano?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bc008, Sep 11, 2007.

?

nano or classic?

Poll closed Sep 18, 2007.
  1. Nano

24 vote(s)
    40.7%
  2. Classic

35 vote(s)
    59.3%
  1. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

Now what should I get, a classic? or a new nano?
    please dont vote until you are finished reading.

Well, my whole point of getting this secondary ipod was to always have all my video with me (20 GB) and my music (1 GB ;)) but now i cant believe i am falling for this new nano.

i have the money, so its not get the nano because its cheaper, but when i saw that picture with the nano held up to a credit card my whole oppinion changed.

so my question is, what do you think I should get? im leaning toards the classic, but the slow responsiveness and not so portability is getting to me.

2. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

If you want to have all your music and video (+21GB) with you then the iPod classic is for you!

:)

3. MacHipster macrumors 6502

It seems you'd be happier with the Classic in the long run as it has the capacity you want. But, I agree that the Nano is pretty sweet.:D

4. MAW macrumors regular

fwiw...

i just bought the black nano and am blown away!! every one at work CANNOT put it down, and i don't even have any content on it!!!

it is soo small and thin yet the screen is bright and crisp and videos are enjoyable on it(i tested one at the store with an episode of "the office").

i just can't get over it. i spent $50 less 2yrs. ago for a 1gig 1G nano! wow.

i was holding out for the touch(which i may still get, i don't know) but when you see these in person it is HARD to resist!!

5. mets1125 macrumors regular

I say get classic cuz if you get the nano your eventually going to want the classic so you can fit all your videos. Or get both!

6. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

The new Nano is so flippin' sweet it's worth it to have the smaller amount of storage space. You can easily swap your videos back and forth. Come on, you know you want it...

7. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

8. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

I was going to say get a nano because it has the same pixel size (320x240), but then I saw in ur sig that u have an 8GB iPhone so because of that u need 1 iPod to keep everything with you. An iPhone beats any iPod any day!:)

9. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

You do know that a ipod classic isn't much bigger than a credit card, right? It is just a lot thicker.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd go for the classic, just for the 160gb.

BUT I'd actually go for the 5.5G since I'm shallow and believe the older iPod to look much better.

11. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

The new nano is beautiful. You won't regret getting one. (most likely)

12. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

Are the videos converted already? Cause the movie "Cars" was 4.9GB and converted it was 720MB. You need the nano!

13. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

I don't like it when mp3 players get too thin/small. One reason I hate the new shuffle compared to the old ones. So I ordered the classic last thursday...arrived yesterday afternoon. And the only 2 problems I have with it (it's my first video ipod) the lack of AVI video support..I now have to convert all my movies :mad:, and the way how its pretty sluggish.

The nano, because its flash based and not hard drive it is much smoother..snappier.

But no worries, the sluggish stutter during coverflow in the classic will no doubt be fixed in a software update eventually. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

14. riker1384 macrumors regular

I have an original Nano 2GB and I never know what to do with it. It holds a lot more than I can listen to at once, but it can't hold my whole library.

BTW, the Ipods, they're specified in decimal gigs, right?

If you actually want to watch video on it then you should definitely get the bigger one.

15. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

My vote is Classic. You said you want to carry all your video's with you. The 80GB will more than do that and give you space to grow. Plus the slightly larger screen will make watching those videos more enjoyable.

Let us know what you decide!

16. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

well, i already do "swap" with my iphone, so i may just get the nano for my occasional "i want to take my ipod to school", and whenever i exercise (not often, but using the iphone for that is a bit shaky :/

then again, the classic is "classic", so i dont know.. i would go with the 80 Gb for sure for anyone that cares. i could have everything with me, all the time. which i would really like. also, the classic does have the new interface also, really on a bigger screen and more storage...

im going to need to wait for the end of the poll probably, or at least until i get my 100 rebate ;)

17. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

In your shoes, I'd get neither. You have an iphone - are you really going to use either? I'd strongly guess not. But if you do get one, get the classic. At least that can do something your iphone can't - hold all your stuff. The nano is very cool, but when would you ever use it over your iphone?

18. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

very convincing post.

right now im 75% classic 25% nano so...
    i would like to have all my videos, and a cable to watch them in any room in the house.
    the classic does have video out, doesnt it?

19. shana macrumors newbie

I went with a nano because I don't want to carry something around that has moving platters and could be demagnetized. I am too hard on my bag for that sort of thing. Plus, the purdy colors are snazzoli.

20. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

In my 5 years of iPod usage (all of them with drives, 20GB 3G, 40GB 4G, 60GB 5G, 6GB Mini), I've never had a drive failure or a demagnetizing experiece. And the 40 GB took two flights off the deck of a treadmill while I was running! No problems at all. Then again, I tend not to slam things around.

21. zhimple macrumors newbie

i like classic. i just like it:)
    Avelyn
    WebMaster
    s9.com - Biographical Dictionary contains information on 33000 notable people from ancient times to the present day.

22. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Looks like you already made your decision, so just go for it! The Classic seems pretty sweet (haven't used one yet, but I've had all the "classics" up to v5.5) so I think you'll be happy with it.

23. Exodemia macrumors regular

Classic for me. I'm currently ripping all my CDs to Apple Lossless because I'm an audiophile and want to have the best sound quality possible. I'm about 2/3 way through and have only used 25GB.

24. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

The new nano is sweet, no doubt, but if you want to be able to carry all your video around, then why would you opt for the iPod with less storage space?

And since when was an iPod too big to carry around? :eek:

25. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Exactly!!