Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
Ok, I have been looking at iPods lately and previously I really like the Touch but lately i have gotten into podcasts and audiobooks and now my library has gotten bigger but here is the main problem does the touch do podcasts? I don't see an icon for them on the pictures and i can't find any info on apple's site.

Thanks in advance

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
Yeah, the Touch does podcasts. Very well infact. I love my touch and if you look at it logically, do you actually listen to ALL your music at once? no of course not and thus the Touch is great for music and stuff. And of course applications.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Is the touch really that much better than the iPhone on battery life? Although Apple states "up to 24 hours" it really dies after 5-6 hours of music (but talk time & standby time are right on the mark). I never use my iPhone anymore for audio because the battery life stinks (among other reasons). I just assumed that the touch was the same.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
Ya see that's the problem I really like the touch but it's battery life is not so good and storage is just ok and it's missing my friend the Click Wheel i'm starting to think the Classic is a better deal right now.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
The lack of the click wheel is my other main reason not to use my iPhone for audio. While the touch i/f is great for many things, it is a bad mp3 player i/f IMHO.

cornerdealy

macrumors regular
May 30, 2006
the touch is a great device, real sleek and sexy. The touch interface is awesome. The problems though is that the battery life isnt so good, and 16gb is just too small.

I know the argument about never being able to listen to your entire library in one charge, but i don't buy it. If you're anything like me, you don't know what you're gonna want to listen to later on in the day, so it's impossible for me to pick certain albums to put on in the morning before i go out. Sure, I'll never listen to my whole library in one day, but I sure as hell enjoy the option to pick whatever I want on a whim. Also, if you like having TV shows and movies with you, the space becomes all the more smaller.

The classic might not be as fancy as the touch, but that doesn't mean it's a worse device. The battery life is phenomenal, the click wheel is tried and true and having the ability to access anything in your music movies and tv library is fantastic.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I know Thats really more and more what I'm Thinking I remember with my old nano 1st Gen I really liked the clickwheel.
I also came from a 1st gen nano, and was very disappointed by the iPod implementation in the iPhone. So I went out and got a shuffle (not as good as the nano, but cheaper).

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
If you're anything like me, you don't know what you're gonna want to listen to later on in the day, so it's impossible for me to pick certain albums to put on in the morning before i go out.

Excellent point! Just having the option to decide what you want to listen to (or watch, if you're into video podcasts, tv shows, etc) is worth it. Since I keep my music player in my pocket most of the time, there's little reason for it to have a lot of eye candy.

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
I think basically if you're not excited by the Touch enough for it to become a decision on its own, the Classic is probably better for you. It's tried and tested, 10x more storage, better battery life, basically the best you can get if your main concern is audio (and perhaps a bit of video)

If on the other hand you're interested in wireless internet browsing or sharing a photo collection when out and about with friends/family/etc, and viewing video (albeit less of it) on a decent screen, the Touch is the way to go.

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Go to an Apple store and see what the screen's like perhaps, see if it's comfortable for podcasts?

If I was only interested in music and video podcasts, I'd still probably have gone for the Classic. However since I knew I'd use the web browser frequently as well as the excellent photo functionality and was already drooling over the interface, the Touch won.

Have a look at your collection, and calculate whether you'd use up more than 16GB. If you're only ever going to use 7GB or something then yeah, the Touch is a no brainer.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
the touch is a great device, real sleek and sexy. The touch interface is awesome. The problems though is that the battery life isnt so good, and 16gb is just too small.

I know the argument about never being able to listen to your entire library in one charge, but i don't buy it. If you're anything like me, you don't know what you're gonna want to listen to later on in the day, so it's impossible for me to pick certain albums to put on in the morning before i go out. Sure, I'll never listen to my whole library in one day, but I sure as hell enjoy the option to pick whatever I want on a whim. Also, if you like having TV shows and movies with you, the space becomes all the more smaller.

The classic might not be as fancy as the touch, but that doesn't mean it's a worse device. The battery life is phenomenal, the click wheel is tried and true and having the ability to access anything in your music movies and tv library is fantastic.

i used to think like that until i got the touch. if i want to listen to something that i dont have on my touch i end up listening to something else and really it hasnt bothered me. on my old ipod, 90% of my songs were never listened to probably

just my thoughts. plus i like solid state more as you can do things

cornerdealy

macrumors regular
May 30, 2006
i used to think like that until i got the touch. if i want to listen to something that i dont have on my touch i end up listening to something else and really it hasnt bothered me. on my old ipod, 90% of my songs were never listened to probably

just my thoughts. plus i like solid state more as you can do things

well i used to think the opposite when i first got my nano. But it got increasingly frustrating whenever i really felt like listening to a certain thing and i couldnt do it.

Sure, I could settle for somethign else to listen to, but it never made me happy.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
well i used to think the opposite when i first got my nano. But it got increasingly frustrating whenever i really felt like listening to a certain thing and i couldnt do it.

Sure, I could settle for somethign else to listen to, but it never made me happy.

to each his own. just stating what i personally had found the case for me.

safetyobc

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
Arkansas
I have both. I started with the Classic, but now have the touch. I too was skeptical about the size of the memory. I had about 30 GB of data on my iPod "Classic." The 16 GB I was scared I wouldn't have enough memory.

However, once I got the Touch, went through my Library and decided what I actually listened to, what Podcasts I wanted, etc. I have about 10 GB on the Touch. I still have around 5 + GB free. I created smart playlists like my top rated songs, top 30 most listened to, etc. Then I went through my Podcast list and selected the ones I really liked and would watch/listen to while out and about.

Also, to save space, some Podcasts offer different formats. If you get the ones formatted for the iPod (sometimes called small) they take up less space. Watching Video on the Touch is a pure joy! It looks terrific!

I have found that 16 GB is plenty for me. I love having a WiFi device in my pocket with editable calender, calculator, etc. The Touch is an AWESOME device. I sold my Palm TX and got the Touch and have never been happier with a purchase.

The Touch does have it's down sides. Apple should have put a play/pause button and volume buttons on the outside. But having to "Touch" the screen for these functions isn't that difficult.

Good luck on your decision. Both iPods are great.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
Yeah, You see on boxing day I had the opportunity to try the Touch for a little while and I have to say I was impressed, Now I don't know if I like it better but the Touch screen was better than I had previously thought so Now I'm considering more and more but it just doesn't seem completely usable because I would have to take it out my pocket for skipping to the next song and so on.

It does seem gorges for video the screen is large and bright. and coverflow was pretty quick. Overall it was nice but I'm still not so sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.