iPod Classic Refresh?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by de.stijl, Apr 7, 2010.

1. de.stijl macrumors newbie

de.stijl

I am looking at buying an iPod classic because I cannot currently hold all of my music solely on my rather small 16GB iPod Touch. I was just wondering if anyone knew about an iPod classic refresh that might be happening soon? I haven't heard any rumors or anything, and I'm sure the classic refresh is low on Apple's to do list, but I just wanted to check with everyone before I buy. Recently, every time I purchase an Apple product, they refresh that same product only months after my purchase. Frustrating to say the least. Thanks in advance for any insight!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. de.stijl thread starter macrumors newbie

de.stijl

Even the iPod classics? They don't seem to change very often.

4. brendu macrumors 68020

im worried that the classic will be done away with when apple releases a 128GB ipod touch.

I got mine last year and love it... so much easier to use in the car than a touch... It will be a sad day when they discontinue the classic.

5. tflournoy95 macrumors 6502

late august to early september with all the rest of the ipods

6. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

I'm thinking this is the year the classic will be taken out behind the barn and shot.

Based on the high end iPod Touch doubling in capacity each year, I expect to see a 128GB model available in September.

7. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I don't see the iPod Classic being upgraded this year. If you need it, buy now.

8. de.stijl thread starter macrumors newbie

de.stijl

I feel the same way. I used to have an old video ipod but it was stolen :( So I bought an ipod touch. The touch great and all, but there is just a certain satisfaction from using the old-fashioned click wheel. It will indeed be a very sad day when they finally discontinue the classics...

9. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

This is one of those products that will just sit until stocks run out. And then, poof - gone!

Given the app ecosystem already in place for the 64GB (and likely) 128GB touch-based iPods, it just doesn't seem practical at all for Apple to continue making the Classic.

10. chewbaccacabra macrumors regular

chewbaccacabra

Has anyone ever made a click wheel skin app for the ipod touch? That might satisfy the nostalgia. ;)

11. de.stijl thread starter macrumors newbie

de.stijl

That would be rather interesting. Someone should jump on that. :D

12. chewbaccacabra macrumors regular

chewbaccacabra

I give my permission. :D I'd just love to see it. you could do every model of ipod!

EDIT: Ah I just checked. There is one called click wheel, but it's just a generic Mp3 player.

13. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Yeah I would think that the classic is going to be discontinued however, maybe apple will be nostalgic and not discontinue it as the iPod was key to it's revival. Perhaps they'll up the nano' capacity and discontinue the classic.