iPod Classic seems incompatible with handbrake M4P files?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TomGolden, Nov 25, 2007.

1. TomGolden macrumors member

TomGolden

TheStu said in the "DVD Ripper" thread:

Alrighty then, let me give you a quick walkthrough.

Lets say you are ripping a DVD, which Handbrake is ideal for (IMO)

Insert the DVD into the drive. If you have DVD player set to auto-launch, let it do so, then quit DVD Player.

Now, launch Handbrake and select the DVD from the drop down menu. Once it analyzes the disk, it auto-selects 'Normal' from the presets.

This is an MP4 file (meaning immediate compatibility with iTunes, iPods, Quicktime, AppleTV, and FrontRow [someone please correct me if I am wrong about the ipods and ATV]) that is set at 1500Kb/s (definitely watchable given the file size) with h264 and 2 pass encoding.

h264 is a very, very high quality codec that allows you to maintain the low file sizes that people are used to with AVI, but yield much higher quality files. 2 Pass encoding means that Handbrake analyzes the video in depth before actually encoding it. This allows it give you better video quality than a 1 pass encoding since it now knows what areas of the video it can reduce bit rate on, but still maintain quality. I am fairly certain that you will see the most benefit from 2pass if you are trying to hit a target file size, rather than a target bit rate, but I could be wrong.

Press Start and be prepared to leave your computer alone for a while... I would suggest starting the rip before you go to sleep. Handbrake is multi-core aware however, so if you have a quad-core or octo-core, you will rip faster than I can. I get about a 1:1 ratio per pass (1 minute of video = 1 minute of encoding) on my 1.83GHz Core Duo.

So, I did exactly this today and successfully ripped episode 1 of season 1 of Sex and the City onto my MacBook Pro using handbrake. I then Imported the M4P file into iTunes and was able to play it inside iTunes with no problems. However, when I then tried to sync it to my iPod Classic, it gave me the error that the file was not copied to the iPod because it can not be played on the iPod. I have the latest updates to Mac OS X, iTunes and the iPod itself. This is my first attempt to put anything like this on an iPod, so what might I be doing wrong?

Maybe instead of Importing it into iTunes, I should have used the Add To library function?

Thanks!!

2. cuestakid macrumors 68000

are you using the latest version of HB-if so try using ipod High Quality instead of creating custom settings-I have had few problems with that setting

3. TomGolden thread starter macrumors member

TomGolden

I did more searching, and found another FAQ on the iLounge site that gives basically the same instructions as the FAQ here does, except it lists using one of the "iPod..." tabs instead of "Normal". That did the trick for my iPod Classic 160GB. I haven't tried my 5G video iPod yet, though.

4. TheStu macrumors 65816

Yea, I was going to say that to you :). My quick rundown was just for if you are ripping it to your hard drive (I do it all the time with DVDs that I have. I can carry a bunch with me that way when I am on the road). Not the ipod, that requires a different file extension (really nothing else though)

5. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Embarrassingly I just started to try out Handbrake for some music dvds I own :eek: All I can see is I'm darn glad I bought an iPod Classic rather than an iPod Touch.