iPod Classic Troubles

Discussion in 'iPod' started by jsbarone, Nov 28, 2007.

1. jsbarone macrumors regular

Hey,

I recently got a set of Logitech X-240 speakers that have an iPod Dock built into them. They're a nice set of speakers, but also little bit flawed in it's design. See, the trouble I'm having is that in order to charge the ipod on the dock, you need to plug the cable into your computer, and when you plug the cable into your computer the ipod syncs with it. This puts the iPod in "connected" mode, and thereby disables any navigating or songplaying from the ipod interface. You're pretty much stuck listening to whatever songs you have on your computer. The easy solution here is to eject the ipod and go from there, but that's tiresome to do every time you dock.

My question is: is there an easy way to tell the ipod not to "connect" and just leach power from the PC instead?

If not, is there an easy way to play music from the ipod in "connected" mode on several different PCs?

2. jsbarone thread starter macrumors regular

3. MacDaddy.G5 macrumors newbie

MacDaddy.G5

I'm sorry that I'm no help, someone may correct me on this, but I'm beginning to think that with the Classic iPods, you can't charge it and listen to at the same time like you could with the earlier models.

I tried it yesterday on my job, I wanted to listen my iPod while at my desk, but my battery was w-a-a-a-y low so I thought I could connect my iPod to a Window$ machine and charge it while I listened to it. No go. It just started charging and locked me out! So I just unplugged it and to my chances and just started to listened to it anyway. Luckily the iPod is good on juice and it lasted for the full 8 hours at work.

4. I3eXa macrumors 6502

next time it connects to itunes just uncheck the box that says 'open itunes when ipod is connected' under summary under ipod.

Hope that helps.

5. jr.georger macrumors newbie

iPod only works when plugged into computer???

Hi all,

This is a pretty frustrating problem and I can't seem to fix it without potentialy deleting all my music. Basically when I turn my ipod on (unplugged from computer) it is totally empty. BUT when I plug it into my computer, all the iPod data shows up in iTunes and all the music is still there, including playlists.
    ANY IDEA WHY OR HOW TO FIX THIS??
    Thanks for taking some time to help me out. Cheers.

6. jsbarone thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies. I'm not missing any data or anything, and can charge my ipod while playing music---the trouble is that I need to eject the ipod from my PC every time I want to charge it and play music at the same time. I was just wondering if there was a way to keep the ipod from entering a state where it needed to be ejected and just keep the USB port power only.

7. danny_w macrumors 601

Perhaps a USB charger is the solution. Or you could uncheck "open itunes when ipod is connected" in iTunes as suggested above.

8. jsbarone thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, I've done that. The problem is that Windows auto mounts the volume no matter what the iPod settings say.

9. jsbarone thread starter macrumors regular

still haven't figured anything out in this regard...I tried disabling the iPod in Windows, uninstalling it, etc. No dice. It doesn't matter if it mounts or not at home because I don't really listen to music there, and I have Leopard anyways so it's a different ballpark.

Can anyone offer anything new?

10. danny_w macrumors 601

Why can't you just get a usb charger for it instead of using your computer to charge the iPod? Is there some other reason to have it connected to the computer?

11. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I suppose I understand the problem with the speakers, but do you have to charge your iPod all the time? I mean the battery on the Classics are pretty extensive and no need to charge it all the time.

As for the issue with charging, I do not believe there is a way to play the music when plugged into the PC. Though does it make a difference if the iPod is manually synced vs. auto-sync?

I have enjoyed my iPod classic very much since buying it. Bummer to hear about these situations.

12. glennp macrumors member

I'm not familiar with your speakers but if they use just use the USB cable to connect/charge the iPod, what about using a powered USB hub? Don't connect the hub to anything expect the power and connect the USB cable to the hub, not the computer. You should be able to just charge the iPod while docked in the speakers. Of course, if the sound is also transmitted via the USB cable, this method won't work...

13. jsbarone thread starter macrumors regular

Using a powered USB hub is a nice idea, but I'm looking for the most "stock" solution. Connecting the USB cable to my PC is a natural idea, and I'm just looking for a way to keep the computer from automatically sticking the ipod in connect mode. Oh well.

14. junyr macrumors newbie

charge iPod and listen at the same time.

Plug in your iPod, go to "My Computer". If ti shows your iPod in the list of drives you need to right click on it and 'eject' it, but leave your USB cable plugged into the unit. Your screen will display "ok to disconnect" but leave it connected. Shortly thereafter you will get the normal iPod menu while it's plugged into your USB and charging.

This allows you to listen to the iPod while charging and having it plugged into your USB on the PC at the same time.

Hope this helps.

Chip