iPod Color vs. iPod Mini

SRSound

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
489
0
Who has the new color ipod? Is it worth the extra $$? Does anyone have both and can compare them?
 

acedickson

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2004
727
0
ATL
If the money is no problem it's definitely a smart buy to go for the extra storage space and the bright color screens.
 

SRSound

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
489
0
There isnt a difference in sound quality is there? I assume it's the same hardware. (I dont mean the bit rate of the song file)
 

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
2,765
25
On the moon.
Sound is amazing on them. I was playing with my friends for a while, and it was AMAZING. They're the same thickness as the 2nd Gen 10 GB iPod, which is what I have, which may sound fat compared to the B&W, but its less than .08 of an inch. You are NOT gonna notice the difference. Besides, the beautiful and bright color screen certainly makes up for the tiny extra thickness.
 

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
10,570
2,660
Bay Area
I soon will be getting a new computer for school and will have to make this choice. I'm leaning towards the color ipod but only because I already have a shuffle for when I don't feel like carrying a lot or am using it to work out. If I could only have one ipod I'd go mini over color because it is a real difference in physical size.
 

japasneezemonk

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2005
414
0
Nomad
my girlfriend has the mini and i have the 40GB iPod Photo, i prefer the mini. I find that i never listen to all the songs on the iPod anyway, so the smaller the better. However, the color display is a plus. :)
 

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
768
15
CA
Most of the time, are you going to be looking at your ipod mini when you listen to the music, or daydream while you rock out with your favorite band?

I think the iPod mini is great for me, because A) i don't listen to ALL the songs on my ipod mini (i listen to certain bands over and over again), and B) i love the lightness/thinness of the thing. Color display is nice, but honestly, are you going to keep staring at your ipod while you're playing the music?

Both are great, but for my purposes, the mini is great. :)
 

evolutioneight

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2005
30
0
I say mini....for me it's all about the battery life. If you plan on making any huge long trips without your lappy loaded with all your tunes, then I can see the advantages of the colour models. But if you're spending most of your time around town, commuting, or just using for walks and bike rides or whatever I think the mini is just a better device because of size/battery. Plus, you play around alot watching slideshows and whatever and your gonna drain power fast.
 

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
4,226
21
Back in the motherland
It's amazing how many threads we have on that topic...

Just get the 20GB.

- about the same battery life
- not THAT much larger/heavier
- A LOT more storage
- A LOT nicer screen
- you get the AC adapter/charger with it
- photo capability
- relatively small price difference to the 6GB
 

SRSound

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
489
0
wow good arguments for each. Does anyone have an ipod photo and find that they use the photo capabilities often? I think it would be nice to have a place to store my photos besides my internal hard drive, but I dont know when I would need them.
 

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
1,740
0
Cardiff, Wales
When my mum decided earlier this month to get an iPod herself, I was considering giving her mine and me getting a photo. However, we both just really like the iPod mini. When I hold an iPod and then hold a mini I prefer the mini ten fold. No one needs more than 1000 songs on the go so every time just upload what you'll listen to, or let iTunes do it itself.

Personally I know which I'd go for, I don't want a colour screen because it's just slightly gimmiky for me.
 

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
Diatribe said:
It's amazing how many threads we have on that topic...

Just get the 20GB.

- about the same battery life
- not THAT much larger/heavier
- A LOT more storage
- A LOT nicer screen
- you get the AC adapter/charger with it
- photo capability
- relatively small price difference to the 6GB
Cons:

-Scratches easier
-costs more
-do you really need all that music with you?


I used to have a mini. It was my first iPod. I then sold it for a 10GB 3rd Gen. iPod. Thinking I'd like the full size, larger capacity iPod more. Well, a little over a month ago, I sold the 10GB because I want to go back to a mini! IMO based on my own experiences, the mini is the better choice. For me anyway. All depends on YOU!
 

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
5,490
1
Mac since 7.5
I have a 60GB iPod and a 1GB Shuffle. The 60GB is nice for toting around to show off pics on TV's and such, and it is nice to have whatever I might want to hear always at my fingertips. I use the Shuffle when I don't feel like toting the big dog around, like for yardwork and quick trips to the market.

If I was only going to have one iPod, I'd probably split the difference and get a 6GB Mini.
 

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
4,226
21
Back in the motherland
crazydreaming said:
Cons:

-Scratches easier
-costs more
-do you really need all that music with you?
Scratches... oh well it's an item you use, so whatever.
Costs more... only marginally if you count in the AC adapter you get.
Do you really... even at 20GB I can only lug half of my library around. At 6GB I would consistently miss songs. If they ever bring out a 10-15GB mini I'd buy one in an instant. I need at least 25% of my library with me.
 

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
15,630
3
キャンプスワ&#
SRSound said:
Who has the new color ipod? Is it worth the extra $$? Does anyone have both and can compare them?
If I had a choice between the Photo and Mini, I would choose the Mini I think. I am drawn towards the Mini's small size and light weight.

While others would say they are almost the same, I would say that there is a huge difference in the two. To each his/her own.

Now if Apple came out with a Shuffle that had a small screen, I would go with that in a heartbeat. I have a Shuffle and love it. I also have an original 10GB model. Good iPod, but much too big to carry. The Shuffle is just right. If you wear a shirt with a pocket, the Shuffle will easily slip inside the pocket. No need for a lanyard. The Shuffle practically takes up no space. And it weighs next to nothing.

Right now, I would say that of the HD iPods, the Mini has the best form factor and weight by far. YMMV.

Sushi
 

shane-o-mac

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2005
130
0
Ipod Color is way cool and I noticed it updates superfast! However the added bulk is a consideration. Def does not bother some but I like the compact portability of the mini. Fits much easier into my jean pocket and scratches a lot less. I returned my ipod photo for a mini. Be carefull the color ipod scratches extremely easily.
 

xmozx

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2005
5
0
Size does matter

I've been reading all these comments about "do you really need all that music?" My answer is hell yes.

I have a 3rd gen 40gb and I listen to almost everything at least once in a week. It allows me to put whole albums rather than just songs. Plus, it makes shuffling way better. Shuffling through 6000 songs is a wild ride!!! Just my two cents. I say go for the bigger and brighter. When they come out with the 80gb is when I'm upgrading to color.
 

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
746
0
NYC
the ipods with bigger HDs can also be used as external hard drives. i actually think i will use my 20gb to transfer all my stuff from my Dell to my iBook whenever the ibooks come out...

is there a difference in reliability (i.e. will files get corrupted?) between my iPod 4G 20gb and a 7200 RPM 120GB Iomega hard drive that i would use otherwise? both would transfer using USB 2.0....
 

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
1,304
2
Diatribe said:
Scratches... oh well it's an item you use, so whatever.
Costs more... only marginally if you count in the AC adapter you get.
Do you really... even at 20GB I can only lug half of my library around. At 6GB I would consistently miss songs. If they ever bring out a 10-15GB mini I'd buy one in an instant. I need at least 25% of my library with me.
I think its nice to be able to fit your entire library of music plus you can back up files by enabling the HD mode (unless its like my 3rd gen. iPod that randomly changes setting- i've tried reinstalling, restoring, etc yet nothing works)
 

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
768
15
CA
xmozx said:
I've been reading all these comments about "do you really need all that music?" My answer is hell yes.

I have a 3rd gen 40gb and I listen to almost everything at least once in a week. It allows me to put whole albums rather than just songs. Plus, it makes shuffling way better. Shuffling through 6000 songs is a wild ride!!! Just my two cents. I say go for the bigger and brighter. When they come out with the 80gb is when I'm upgrading to color.
Yeah, but how many times are you gonna do shuffle and end up skipping a song because it's not a song you exactly want to hear? Then you end up cycling until you find a song form a particular band you like, and in which case, you could have just played their album and just listened to the songs straight from that individual album's playlist anyway =P
 

SRSound

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
489
0
it still doesnt sound like very many people use the photo capability.. am i wrong?
 

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
4,226
21
Back in the motherland
EJBasile said:
I think its nice to be able to fit your entire library of music plus you can back up files by enabling the HD mode (unless its like my 3rd gen. iPod that randomly changes setting- i've tried reinstalling, restoring, etc yet nothing works)
I'd need a 60GB for that and I must admit they feel kind of clunky and big.
 

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
992
0
London
MUCKYFINGERS said:
Yeah, but how many times are you gonna do shuffle and end up skipping a song because it's not a song you exactly want to hear? Then you end up cycling until you find a song form a particular band you like, and in which case, you could have just played their album and just listened to the songs straight from that individual album's playlist anyway =P
Not that often. I've filled half my 40GB photo but it's only the odd song that I don't like. I deliberately haven't ripped some of the stuff I know I won't listen to. The stuff I do jump tends to be songs my g/f has put on. For some reason she has an attachment to Michael Learns To Rock - the rest of her taste is flawless, and it's patriotic so I can't complain :p