Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soton Speed

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2006
UK
Hi,

I have an eMac running 10.2.8 (Jaguar) and iTunes 6.0.5. What would be the latest version of the iPod Classic that I could use with this system.

TIA.

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
It depends, do you want to use it with a USB cable or a FireWire cable. They have different requirements.

polishmacuser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2007
Los Angeles
i heard you need tiger :confused: but i dont know look at the tech specs for the ipodMac system requirements
Mac computer with USB 2.0 port
Mac OS X v10.4.9 or later
iTunes 7.6 or later5

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
I dont understand what you mean by "the latest version of the iPod classic".

I think the OP means by iPod classic is the hard drive line of iPods. They just renamed the "iPod", "iPod classic" starting with the 6th generation. They did this so it just wouldn't be called just the "iPod".

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Hi,

I have an eMac running 10.2.8 (Jaguar) and iTunes 6.0.5. What would be the latest version of the iPod Classic that I could use with this system.

TIA.

Any iPod will work with your eMac. The only question is what model of eMac you have. Some models only have USB 1.1 others have USB 2.0. The only reason for worring about which USB you have is the speed at which update and file transfers occur.

TEG

Soton Speed

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2006
UK
Hi all,

Thanks for the replys. I only have USB1.1 so Firewire would be the choice. To clarify, which generation of iPod would be compatible with my set up?

TIA.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Any iPod will work with your eMac. The only question is what model of eMac you have. Some models only have USB 1.1 others have USB 2.0. The only reason for worring about which USB you have is the speed at which update and file transfers occur.

TEG

Not true. He's only running 10.2, so it'll have to be an older iPod, as the latest ones all require 10.4 or later.

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
Hi all,

Thanks for the replys. I only have USB1.1 so Firewire would be the choice. To clarify, which generation of iPod would be compatible with my set up?

TIA.

If you are using firewire then you can go all the way up to a 4th generation iPod/iPod photo. But remember, thats only if you use firewire.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.