Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
I just upgraded to a 4S and restored my iphone 4 backup to it. Everything appears to be good, no battery drain, life is good.

But I noticed this problem this morning. The ipod controls on the lock screen don't work, when playing something the play button should change to a pause but that doesn't happen so you can't pause. If it happens to be stopped you can play it though.

Weird? In this screenshot it is playing something, can see that in the titlebar. I just don't have a pause button.

ipodlockscreen.png

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
I just upgraded to a 4S and restored my iphone 4 backup to it. Everything appears to be good, no battery drain, life is good.

But I noticed this problem this morning. The ipod controls on the lock screen don't work, when playing something the play button should change to a pause but that doesn't happen so you can't pause. If it happens to be stopped you can play it though.

Weird? In this screenshot it is playing something, can see that in the titlebar. I just don't have a pause button.

In addition to the pause button, there should be a volume slider. Strange. Have you tried simply restarting the phone? If that doesn't work, perhaps try resetting the phone? If that still doesn't work, I'd personally try restoring as new to see if the problem persists.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
I have turned it off and back on which didn't do anything. What do you mean by resetting?

I dread the restore as new for something as trivial as this but I will do it as a last ditch thing.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
I have turned it off and back on which didn't do anything. What do you mean by resetting?

I dread the restore as new for something as trivial as this but I will do it as a last ditch thing.

By resetting, I mean hold both the home and sleep buttons simultaneously until the phone shuts off and restarts.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
Unfortunately it came back. The reason I has no volume slider was because it was in a dock. If I reset the phone it works but as soon as I go back to a dock it does the play button only, even if taken out of the dock.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Unfortunately it came back. The reason I has no volume slider was because it was in a dock. If I reset the phone it works but as soon as I go back to a dock it does the play button only, even if taken out of the dock.

Very strange. Is the dock an Apple-branded one? I'm not sure if that matters but thought I'd ask.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
Actually it is just a cable with USB and audio breakout, not apple branded. Same thing as a dock without the clunky dock that only works with one thing. It works fine with my iPhone 4 and iPad. Thing is this persists even after it is unplugged from that cable. To me this seems like software.

I just reset it again and I can't get it to come back. Hopefully it stays gone.

I hear the iPod stuff had a lot of bugs in the betas, might not be completely worked out yet?

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Actually it is just a cable with USB and audio breakout, not apple branded. Same thing as a dock without the clunky dock that only works with one thing. It works fine with my iPhone 4 and iPad. Thing is this persists even after it is unplugged from that cable. To me this seems like software.

I just reset it again and I can't get it to come back. Hopefully it stays gone.

I hear the iPod stuff had a lot of bugs in the betas, might not be completely worked out yet?

I had the betas and didn't experience any problems with the iPod controls however I didn't use them very often.

Hope it stays gone for you this time.

Jollins

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2006
Reviving this thread from the dead because I have this same issue. I even did a clean restore (no backups used) and the issue still persists. It's driving me nuts.

Basically the play/pause headphone remote button AND lock screen controls stop working all of a sudden. Rebooting is just a temporary fix.

Is my iPhone defective somehow, or is it some crazy malfaction from my headphones? Anyone have any ideas?

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
It happened to me one other time after this thread. Again it went away after I did a hard reset mentioned above and I haven't seen it again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.