Ipod coverflow question

Discussion in 'iPod' started by jondark, May 3, 2007.

1. jondark macrumors newbie

Hello this is my first post here,

I have a question about ipods and coverflow view. Right now I have a shuffle and when I plug it in and play music from it I cannot view album art in coverflow view(which i very much want to do), only list view(the other options are grey) which only gives the little thumbnail pic in the corner

now

I am planning to buy an 80g ipod and moving all my music off my laptop and onto the ipod and just plug it into my laptop to play my music, but will I be able to see it in coverflow view or is that view only for music that is on your hard drive? And does the shuffle just not have that capability?

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Just put it on an external drive instead. Do you really want to offload all that music onto your iPod permanently. What if that iPod dies.

3. jondark thread starter macrumors newbie

That is a good point about the ipod dying, I didn't think of that. I do have an external hard drive I don't want to use because (correct me if I’m wrong) when I eventually have to disconnect my laptop from it won't I get all those exclamation points saying it doesn’t know where the file is?

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Only if you try to play your music while you have it disconnected. You will still be able to connect your iPod and play from it with the drive disconnected, but have your library reside on your external drive.

5. jondark thread starter macrumors newbie

any idea about the coverflow view from the newer and bigger ipods?

6. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I can't browse using coverflow when I am playing off my 2nd gen 8GB Nano either.

7. Jim Campbell macrumors 6502a

Jim Campbell

Dunno about the Nano, but surely the reason Coverflow doesn't work with a Shuffle is because the Shuffle doesn't have any album artwork?

Cheers

Jim

8. jondark thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks for the replies.

Dunno about the Nano, but surely the reason Coverflow doesn't work with a Shuffle is because the Shuffle doesn't have any album artwork?

Cheers

Jim

That's what I thought but it does contain the artwork because it shows it in the little thumbnail view, its just the other 2 view options are not able to be pressed, does anybody here have a 20g+ ipod they can try it out on?

The reason i'm writing this is because I put a lot of original art to my files which I need to keep attached, bc when I have company over I like to leave the laptop out like a jukebox in coverflow view.

Heres what im thinking I’ll do (bc I have pretty much no space left on my laptop)

Buy the 80g ipod and put my all my music on that and an external hard drive, delete it from laptop hard drive. And since I rarely keep my external hard drive plugged in I figure I’ll just play music straight from the ipod, which is where the only problem comes in.

So to anyone with an ipod that shows album art, can you see it in coverflow view when plugged into computer? I hoping just bc I just have shuffle it can’t do that view.

And if you can’t then firstly WTF apple? and does anybody know a way around that?

9. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

I have an 80GB 5.5 gen iPod and coverflow does not work when viewing music from the iPod. It also does not work when viewing music from a shared iTunes library from a different computer on your network. It seems to only work when browsing music from your local iTunes Library.