IPOD data recovery with unusual circumstances

Discussion in 'iPod' started by donttasemebro, Jan 22, 2008.

1. donttasemebro macrumors newbie

Hi All,
    I am in a predicament. I have a 40GB IPOD Classic, prehistoric yes, but it has roughly 500CDs that I burned on it. As part of a class action lawsuit, I mailed my IPOD to those fine folks at Apple to give me a longer-life battery, who assured me they would not touch anything other than the battery. Since it was returned, there is not a single song on it and the hard drive appears to have been wiped clean. To complicate matters, the PC desktop with the ITunes software from which I burned the 500 CDs has since fried its motherboard, so I can access that PC only through the hard drive that I extracted from it and by accessing it through a different laptop.

I dont really care about the PC, it was garbage, but what is the best way to get my music back on to the ipod?

I have seen some IPOD recovery services where supposedly they can recover your music--any thoughts/experiences?

Is it only possible to repair this issue by repairing the motherboard and getting the PC of origin to work once again?

Thanks in advance for your sage advice.

2. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

I may have misunderstood but...can't you just re-sync the songs onto your iPod after getting them off of the hard drive of the old PC?

3. donttasemebro thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I don't know how to re-synch, actually, and more importantly, when I search the entire Itunes Folder and all applications, I cannot find anything containing my 500 CDs of music. I think I may have installed Itunes on the desktop, and I have found in general that I can access whatever information I had in the files, but I cannot seem to access any of the things contained in the desktop. When I search for .mp3, I cant find anything. I know this may reveal my stunning Ipod ignorance, but I am not sure where your songs are stored when you burn them in with the Itunes software, but I assume that a .mp3 search of the entire hard drive would find them. If you can recommend a way to search and synch, or direct me to a site, I am all ears (and eyes). Thanks.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Using windows, they're located in your my documents>My music folder. And they might be .aac files, not .mp3.

Also, if the music's not on the iPod, then it's probably a different hard drive and impossible to recover from the iPod.