Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I have a 15 GB, 3rd generation iPod that I've had since around July.

It's been working great, but for the last few days, all that's been showing on the screen is that black Apple logo. It doesn't respond to any button pushings. I've held down Play, I've held down Play and Menu, but it doesn't respond. I've made sure it's not on Hold (flipped the Hold switch back and forth numerous times); plugged in the wired remote and tried to use that; plugged the iPod directly into my computer; plugged the iPod into my computer through its Dock; plugged the iPod directly into an outlet (using its adapter); plugged it directly into an outlet (using its adapter) through the Dock...but it just keeps showing a somewhat darkened screen with an Apple logo in the middle.

Is there anything I can do? Or do I have to send it in to Apple and have it fixed/replaced?

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
Re: iPod dead?

Originally posted by FredAkbar
I have a 15 GB, 3rd generation iPod that I've had since around July.

It's been working great, but for the last few days, all that's been showing on the screen is that black Apple logo. It doesn't respond to any button pushings. I've held down Play, I've held down Play and Menu, but it doesn't respond. I've made sure it's not on Hold (flipped the Hold switch back and forth numerous times); plugged in the wired remote and tried to use that; plugged the iPod directly into my computer; plugged the iPod into my computer through its Dock; plugged the iPod directly into an outlet (using its adapter); plugged it directly into an outlet (using its adapter) through the Dock...but it just keeps showing a somewhat darkened screen with an Apple logo in the middle.

Is there anything I can do? Or do I have to send it in to Apple and have it fixed/replaced?

Mine did that. I just let the battery run down, so it shuts off (not gracefully, but oh well). Then I plugged it in. Took a few minutes to check the disk, I presume, but it did come back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.