iPod dead

Discussion in 'iPod' started by sstern1, Jan 13, 2008.

1. sstern1 macrumors member

Looked down the other day and my 5G Video was dead. No reason at all. Might be the battery. Charging it doesn't work. doesn't recognize on computer. Any suggestions?

2. Jecko024 macrumors member

Jecko024

keep it on the charger for some time.......I have drained many iPods to the point of just plugging them in not being enough. Plug it in and leave it plugged in for a good half hour, then go back to it...this has worked for me many times :)

3. bw0151 macrumors newbie

ipod dead

Check my thread on 4 January.

"I am new to this forum and wonder if anybody can help with this problem. I was intending to update the songs on my ipod (30GB) recently. When I connected it to my itunes (7.5), I got a message asking if I
    wanted to update the ipod software. Foolishly, I agreed. The update seemed to go OK until the very end when I got a message that an error - 1416 I think- had occurred and that the update had failed.

itunes then ejected the ipod although the ipod still displayed the "do not
    disconnect" message. After about 10 mins, I eventually disconnected the ipod since when it has been as dead as a dodo. It will not reset and I have tried using the ipod software updater to restore the factory settings but it doesn't recognise the ipod as connected.

I think this is the first ipod update since upgrading?? itunes to 7.5. Has
    anybody else experienced this and knows of a fix or is the ipod well and truly dead?"

Is your problem similar to this?

BTW, I still haven't found a solution:mad:

Barry

4. SLC Flyfishing macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

if it is the battery, you can get a replacement one and change it out yourself. It's not too hard, you just need to make sure you have a small electrics soldering iron handy before you start. I recently did this on my 1st generation Nano, I saved $40 and a few weeks at apple by doing it myself. The battery was $19.99 and I did the whole job (once I found the proper soldering iron) in about 15 minutes. I would have had to pay about $60 and mail it in to apple to have them do it, that could have taken a few weeks for them to get to.

SLC

5. sstern1 thread starter macrumors member

Where do you get the battery from? Is there a do-it-yourself web site anywhere that I can learn about that?

6. SLC Flyfishing macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

I got the battery from compUSA, but there are places online that sell them, they have tutorials on their websites too. Just google iPod battery replacement and you should get a few options. The battery I got was an energizer brand and they sold them for the video iPods as well as the nano's and I think the iPod mini and the older 1st generation iPod with color screen.

SLC