iPod iPod dimensions comparison

Vidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
980
35
First of all, I know the 5.5G iPods carry the same relative dimensions as the original 5Gs, but my question is aimed towards my particular case.

I carry my 4G 20GB iPod to school every day in a case and I've found it quite large.
I'd like to upgrade it to one of the new 5Gs, especially due to battery life but also because of the reduced size.

The 80GB version looks much better to me because for relatively little more you get a much larger capacity, nearly double the video battery life and the potential for backing-up information.
The only real worry is thickness; the 30GB version is, iirc, 30% smaller than my current iPod but I don't know how the larger one compares.

Considering the size is a somewhat important factor, what would you suggest?

Also, on a somewhat unrelated note, what is the iPod like for playing ripped DVDs, for example The Incredibles.

EDIT: Can anyone suggest a case that will not scratch the iPod through regular use?
Most products have at least one review claiming that the case created scratch marks.
I'd like one that covers the clickwheel too without restricting its use.
 

boiee

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2005
82
0
Vidd said:
First of all, I know the 5.5G iPods carry the same relative dimensions as the original 5Gs, but my question is aimed towards my particular case.

I carry my 4G 20GB iPod to school every day in a case and I've found it quite large.
I'd like to upgrade it to one of the new 5Gs, especially due to battery life but also because of the reduced size.

The 80GB version looks much better to me because for relatively little more you get a much larger capacity, nearly double the video battery life and the potential for backing-up information.
The only real worry is thickness; the 30GB version is, iirc, 30% smaller than my current iPod but I don't know how the larger one compares.

Considering the size is a somewhat important factor, what would you suggest?

Also, on a somewhat unrelated note, what is the iPod like for playing ripped DVDs, for example The Incredibles.

EDIT: Can anyone suggest a case that will not scratch the iPod through regular use?
Most products have at least one review claiming that the case created scratch marks.
I'd like one that covers the clickwheel too without restricting its use.
The 80 Gig 5g iPod is slightly slimmer than your 4g (Even though I haven't seen it in person yet, I have the 60 Gig 5g iPod, which is the same size). When you compare them side by side (5g VS 4g), its noticeable, and it might feel a BIT slimmer - not by much. However, the 30 Gig is NOTICEABLY slimmer and you can feel the definite difference.

As for a case, if you just want SCRATCH proof case/shield, I suggest an Invisible Shield. It's a GREAT shield and almost EVERYONE who first sees my iPod doesn't even notice it. However, the process of putting it on is difficult and may scare you a bit (You need to put water on your iPod and cannot use it 24 hrs after application). Here is a link to show you how good this case is (IT REALLY DOES WORK): http://www.untenohana.com/archives/videos/ipod_scratch_test/

Just Google the name "Invisible Shield" and you'll find your results. ENJOY!
 

Vidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
980
35
boiee said:
The 80 Gig 5g iPod is slightly slimmer than your 4g (Even though I haven't seen it in person yet, I have the 60 Gig 5g iPod, which is the same size). When you compare them side by side (5g VS 4g), its noticeable, and it might feel a BIT slimmer - not by much. However, the 30 Gig is NOTICEABLY slimmer and you can feel the definite difference.

As for a case, if you just want SCRATCH proof case/shield, I suggest an Invisible Shield. It's a GREAT shield and almost EVERYONE who first sees my iPod doesn't even notice it. However, the process of putting it on is difficult and may scare you a bit (You need to put water on your iPod and cannot use it 24 hrs after application). Here is a link to show you how good this case is (IT REALLY DOES WORK): http://www.untenohana.com/archives/videos/ipod_scratch_test/

Just Google the name "Invisible Shield" and you'll find your results. ENJOY!
Thank you very much for the reply.
The Invisible Shield looks very impressive; I'd just be worried about how the iPod would look if I wanted to take the cover off and I'm sure you wouldn't know what it's like.

Any further input would be very appreciated.
 

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
1,691
6
NJ/NYC
Vidd said:
Can anyone suggest a case that will not scratch the iPod through regular use?
Most products have at least one review claiming that the case created scratch marks.
I'd like one that covers the clickwheel too without restricting its use.
I always recommend the invisible shield from shieldzone.com or you can get something very similar and much cheaper...in fact it seems to be the same material (without the fancy packaging and unecessary install tools) from bestskinsever.com

I have a invisible shield on my 5G and when I found out about bestskinsever I got one of those for my nano. They are great...you can't even tell they are there and they protect you iPod very well.
 

Vidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
980
35
MattyMac said:
I always recommend the invisible shield from shieldzone.com or you can get something very similar and much cheaper...in fact it seems to be the same material (without the fancy packaging and unecessary install tools) from bestskinsever.com

I have a invisible shield on my 5G and when I found out about bestskinsever I got one of those for my nano. They are great...you can't even tell they are there and they protect you iPod very well.
Thank you for the reply! :)
What's the installation process like?