iPod dock incompatible with iPhone, iPad

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Bonzi Buddy, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Bonzi Buddy macrumors newbie

Hello everybody. A long time ago, I installed a secondhand Pioneer receiver in my car, along with an IP-BUS iPod dock cable which takes the line-out from my 1st gen iPod Touch to the aux input on the receiver. I also wired the cable to a 12V line so it would simultaneously charge the iPod. Pretty simple and foolproof concept and it worked perfectly. Although I had to manage the controls on the iPod unit itself, I loved having a few gigs of my music on the road.

Flash forward to 2010. I now have an iPhone 3G and an iPad that don't work at all with the cable. Whenever I try plugging them in, I get a warning screen saying "this accessory is not made to work with iPhone". I am aware that Apple is using lock-out chips on their newer devices to control the third party accessory market. Is there an adapter or some other workaround out there so I can use this cable?

This is what the cable looks like: [​IMG]

Thanks for the help.

2. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

unfortunately iPod compatible=\= IPhone compatible

while it may work, most iPhone products have an additional encryption chip needed to work with iPhone products :/

good luck with any future installs

3. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

Scosche sells adapters. A friend of mine bought one and uses it with his 3G.

This is the one he has:

http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/1667

I'm not sure if that or any adapter will work with the iPad as it needs a lot more power.

4. ttt123 macrumors newbie

Not compatible workaround

I had the same problem on an Altec Lansing M602 speaker dock. Plug the iPhone 3GS in, and it would give the not compatible message, and not charge. So I did some searching around to see if I could find out what was causing this. It did not make sense, as the connector had not changed, and the all connectors used USB to connect to a PC, and the USB connector only has 4 leads (Pwr, D-, D+, Grd), so what were the different Apple generations detecting to give this message?

Found a clue from this article http://pinouts.ru/Devices/ipod_pinout.shtml

Following these instructions from Pin 27 Data(+) section, I made a USB cable with the 33K and 22K resistors, plugged the micro end into the M602, and the USB end into an AC to 5V USB power supply. The M602 now charges the iPhone, and does not give the "incompatible" message!
    So that's why different devices have different effects. Apple changed the sense signals that are present on the D- D+ leads.
    I was quite happy to find an answer, as it was something that did not make sense, and was nagging me, everytime I saw it.

The Scoshe connector does the same thing that wiring the
    resistors in does, BTW. But if you are comfortable with wiring, then try adding the resistors into your harness.

To charge an iPhone 3G / iPod Touch 2nd gen, usb data- (25) should be at 2.8v, usb data+(27) should be at 2.0v. This can be done with a few simple resistors: 33k to +5v (23) and 22k to gnd(16) to obtain 2v and 33k to +5v and 47k to gnd to obtain 2.8v. This is a "notification" to the iphone that it is connected to the external charger and may drain amps from the usb.

5. Bonzi Buddy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going with the Scosche adapter.

6. didi17 macrumors newbie

hi, have you some picture of the cable?

i don't understand what i might do for do this cable,

thank you very much!! i bought this docking yesterday and not charge any device :(

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

FYI -- ttt123's last post (you can find this info in a user's profile) was back in 2010.

8. didi17 macrumors newbie

thank you anyway, i have resolved ;)