iPod Dock's

Discussion in 'iPod' started by mynameismatt89, Aug 24, 2007.

1. mynameismatt89 macrumors 6502

I've been interested in getting a dock for charging and to connect to my stereo system. I was wondering though, do all these devices, even the portable speakers you can connect to, does it drain the battery quickly and therefore reduces the life of the battery? Or no, because if you connect the dock to the stereo system, and then the dock to an AC outlet, the power goes through the iPod rather than using the iPod's battery?

2. mynameismatt89 thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually, perhaps a portable stereo speaker system that can charge the battery at the same time might be better for me. I guess im just worried that after normal use, I will have to replace the battery of the iPod after a year.

3. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

I have 3 setups like this.

In each I have a decent-enough set (3pcs) of computer speakers running off their own AC power. Basically something like this.

My iPod then docks to the input on the system, but also plugs into it's own AC outlet.

The iPod runs off Ac power, so do the speakers. In fact I have to set a reminder every 30 days to unplug the dock to FORCE myself to run off the battery (just to make sure it gets used once in a while; to keep it healthy).

I use this in my office, and in my entertaining room at home, and I have a 3rd set I take with us up to the cottage or if we stay in an out-of-town hotel for some reason.

Oh, PS: The iPod battery life hasn't really been an issue since I think rev 2. It had problems years ago, but has gotten much better in the last several years. With "normal use" you can expect the same life you would from your camcorder, cordless phone or most other modern rechargeable devices.

4. mynameismatt89 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm, so I could use my existing RCA stereo system and then buy a dock that can be plugged into the wall, and also connect to my stereo system. This could be convenient.

Im still contemplating whether or not to buy the iPod Hi-Fi or just do the setup I just mentioned. I know the Hi-Fi would be alot more expensive, but it would be nicer to have. I don't know.

Thanks for the advice. Anybody esle have any input on this?

By the way, are there any Apple dock's that can connect to my stereo system AND plug into the wall without having to buy a dock and this seperately: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/StoreReentry.wo?productLearnMore=MB051LL/A