Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyeluvmyimac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2002
I received a 10GB iPod for Christmas (my pride and joy =) ) have it just about full, and noticed a few days ago that my playlists on the ipod got whacked. In roughly half of my 35 or so playlists all the songs have either been deleted or replaced by two specific songs, but if i use the browse option, they are still there. The two songs are mysteriously enough:

Shiver Live Acoustic by Coldplay and See You Soon by Coldplay - which by the way I am seeing in concert on Sunday!!!! WHOO HOO!!)

Anyways, on my computer, the playlists are fine, but when I view it on the iPod they have magically disappeared.

I usually have it on automatically update, but have since changed it to manual since I have more songs in my library than can fit in the iPod. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? Is it me or the ipod? How do I fix it?

I have three possible theories:
1) My iPod does magic better than David Copperfield (which isn't too hard lol j/k)

2) My iPod is just flat-out whacked

3) I screwed it up somehow when transferring songs

Thanks for your input!

austincpy

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2003
Long Beach, CA
I had a somewhat similar problem. My original iPod would just play certain songs in my playlists, for no reason. I updated my software, and even took it to an apple service guy, and they said they fixed it, but I soon had the same problem, and my mac wouldn't even recognize my iPod. They replaced it, so I think you will have to do the same. Good luck, and why does apple have so many problems with their iPods?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by austincpy
Good luck, and why does apple have so many problems with their iPods?

Considering how many they've sold, and how many happy iPod customers there are, i don't think it's that buggy of a product-- there are defects in any product line, some people just seem to have bad luck with ipods...

pnw

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Were these songs downloaded? Maybe they might be slightly damaged and your Mac might play them but your iPod can't? Or maybe Job's saying "Don't Steal Music" is built into the iPod? lol Well enough of that. Do you have the latest software updates? You running the latest OS? Try calling Apple if all else fails...

eyeluvmyimac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2002
no, i have all the latest software for both my mac and my ipod so that cant be it. If i want to delete it all and start from scratch, what is the best way to do that? If that doesnt work, I'll have to have it replaced. Will I get a refurbished one? And how long after the purchase date will tehy replace them?

eyeluvmyimac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2002
cool! i never knew that!

concert tonight baby!!! aww yea, im psyched. they said in the paper that they will be playing some songs off "an unrelased third album." Can't wait!

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Originally posted by eyeluvmyimac
no, i have all the latest software for both my mac and my ipod so that cant be it. If i want to delete it all and start from scratch, what is the best way to do that? If that doesnt work, I'll have to have it replaced. Will I get a refurbished one? And how long after the purchase date will tehy replace them?
Go to http://www.apple.com/downloads and download the iPod Software 1.2.1 Updater (or the latest version) and click on restore to erase the iPod and to set all the settings to their default factory settings.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
I had a problem with my 5 GB iPod (it totally crashed), and I took it to a Genius Bar. They couldn't fix it, so they gave me a new one.
If you can't solve your problem, try swinging by an Apple Retail Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.