Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fmc1000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
Hello,

I have an issue that is affecting my iPod/iTunes and I am looking for help. I googled hard but all reports I found seem to be different from the ones I am experiencing.

Affected HW and SW:
iPod classic 160GB, FAT32 formatted
MacBook 13"
Mac OS X 10.6.3 + iTunes 9.1 (79)

I have a 160GB iPod which is formatted with FAT32. As long as I used this with iTunes and PC and I had no problems. The iPod is still working and playing fine.

Recently I bought a Mac and I transfered all iTune contents to the new Mac. Of course, since I was switching to Mac, it would be convenient to restore the iPod using HFS+. However, this is has been more tricky than I was expecting.

1. When I connect the iPod to the Mac, iTunes starts at once, but it does take a long time (>1 minute) to the main iTunes window to show up. When it finally does, the iPod does not show up in the iTunes source window as it should. However, I am able to connect other iPods to the iTunes and they work fine, so iTunes seems to be OK.

2. The iPod appears in the Finder, and I can browse the directory structure without any apparent problem (I used the iPod on the PC for some small backups and carrying on data, and this is OK).

3. Checking /var/log/kernel.log, I find "disk2s1: I/O error" messages. I confirmed with mount that the disk2s1 volume is the iPod one.

4. Using the Disk Utility, I attempted a Verify disk. I got an error "Unable to read directory (Input/Output error) [...] Click repair disk".

5. When repairing, I get a message "Volume repair complete", but immediately after I get "Error: Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files."

Given this, it seems that I am dead-locked here:

1. According to http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1410, the ipod not showing in iTunes may be due to "Your iPod hard disk's format is damaged or was altered - If you reformatted the hard disk on your iPod, or if something has damaged or altered the disk's format, iTunes or the Finder may not recognize iPod. To resolve this issue, restore iPod."

2. However the linked instructions to restore Ipod in http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1339 assume that the iPod is showing up in iTunes… What it does not happen.

I could try to reformat the disk in HFS+ using Disk Utility and try a restore afterward, but all pointers that i read state "never attempt to do that" (???).

Last but not least, of course I tried almost everything suggested by Apple (change USB port, updating software, etc, etc…).

Thanks a lot for any hint or suggestion,

fmc

quantum003

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Superposition
iPod Nano 2nd gen: will not mount, no way no how. So... trash can? Paperweight?

Sorry. Meant to start a new post not reply. It's too early...

peahead777

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
I am having exactly the same problem. Did you ever manage to fix it and if so how?

Thanks in advance.

carlosbutler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2008
Old thread... although to restore your iPod hold down the centre button and menu button (or centre and play/pause) for about 20 seconds and that should work. Plug in to iTunes and click restore. Don't mess around with disk utility on your iPod since that might really destroy something crucial.

peahead777

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
Thanks for the reply... unfortunately does nothing... iPod works fine and turns up in the Finder every time, but won't turn up in iTunes no matter which version I install. Don't know how to restore iPod without using iTunes... Don't care about losing all currently installed songs - all I really use it for is to listen to podcasts.

Any more feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.