iPod iPod doesn't play music in Windows

sjpetry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
Hi everyone.

I update my iPod and iTunes yesterday on my Mac. When I later tried to use my ipod on a friends PC it said that I needed to reformat to Windows. Is there a way to get around this? Before it would always work without any troubles.:(

dwishbone

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
On the Moon
did you do a full restore on it? it sounds like you had a FAT formatted iPod and when you updated it to the new software you told it to reformat to an HFS iPod.
the solution...run the software restore from a PC and it will format it back to FAT. then hook it back to your mac and resync all your stuff

sjpetry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
dwishbone said:
did you do a full restore on it? it sounds like you had a FAT formatted iPod and when you updated it to the new software you told it to reformat to an HFS iPod.
the solution...run the software restore from a PC and it will format it back to FAT. then hook it back to your mac and resync all your stuff
I reformatted it on my Mac. Like I always have.

If I restore it with a PC then I can't update it with my Mac, right?

dwishbone

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
On the Moon
yeah you can. the mac doesnt care what format it is...but windows does.
windows cant read HFS volumes but a mac can read FAT and HFS.
i used a FAT formatted iPod for along time so i could take files to and from my office computer and also to keep some tech utilities installed for helping diagnose ill windows machines.
i dont know how you could have been using a mac formatted iPod on windows unless the windows machine had a HFS enabler on it...like MacDrive or something like that. you just cant run software updates on it...but music syncing and stuff should work just fine.