ipod firmware

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Toby Goodbar, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Toby Goodbar macrumors 6502

i've looked around, maybe not so much on here but ive spent loads of time in google and still don't have much of an answer to my question.

where can i find, or what, are the differences between firmwares on 5g ipods other than "bug fixes"?

i still have version 1.2.1, and have no problem with it. i never updated for a few various reasons. BUT i have seen some of the newer smaller ipods with the split screen cover flow feature and want to try it out. i have alot of mixtapes or albums and sometimes forget the names but recognize the album covers from itunes coverflow, it would help me out to preview an album cover when looking for something. i heard theres a search feature to that may or may not be useful to me. is my understanding of those firmware options accurate?

is that ONLY for the new ones or would i find it on my ipod if i updated to the most current firmware?

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

That feature is only for the 6th generation iPod Classics, 3rd generation iPod nanos, and the iPod touches. I had a black ipod 5.5 generation and I put the latest firmware on it, no luck with cover flow. I think cover flow requires a better graphics chip than the ipod 'video' has. the classic has this chip therefore cover flow.

3. Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

are you talking about the fullscreen coverflow or the split screen coverflow, which i might consider more of a preview than actual "coverflow" i.e. when the menu screen splits and shows a preview of album art on the right half. the split screen is what i'm looking for... like this:

[​IMG]

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Neither will work on any iPod besides the new ones.

5. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

That is a hacked firmware that someone put on the 5.5gen iPod.

Its not even close to the one thats on the 6th gen iPod, and it is slow as hell.

6. Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, got it. thanx all. im jus gon stay w/wha i have now.