Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
Hey guys. Today I was listening to my iPod in my car when, all of the sudden, the song started to skip and my iPod froze. So, at a stop light, I reset the iPod. But after the Apple logo came up, instead of sending me to the menu, I got a flashing folder with an exclaimation point. What's going on?

P.S.- I remember seeing this problem somewhere else on the forum a while back, but I searched and didn't find it.

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
daveway00 said:
This means that the ipod can no longer find sysyem files and music. The only way to fix this is to do a complete restore.
Well, I've been running the software update to restore it for about 45 min, and so far the bar has gotten all the way across on the screen but it hasn't finished.

cfd

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2004
AliensAreFuzzy said:
I got a flashing folder with an exclaimation point.
Unless Disk Utility or Disk Warrior can see and repair the drive, it's toast. By any chance, if you put your ear next to the iPod, do you hear any unusual clicks? If so, treat it the same as any other hard drive.

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
cfd said:
Unless Disk Utility or Disk Warrior can see and repair the drive, it's toast. By any chance, if you put your ear next to the iPod, do you hear any unusual clicks? If so, treat it the same as any other hard drive.
Yeah, I figured that it was dead when I first had the problems. I tried the restore as a last ditch effort. I'm bringing it into Best Buy on Monday. Which brings up another point: if I have the replacement plan, can I give them the extra $50 and upgrade to a 30GB Photo?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.