iPod FM Receiver Remote

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple announced an iPod FM Receiver and Remote today at Macworld San Francisco 2006.

The new Remote is priced at $49 and allows users to tune FM radio stations through a new on-screen interface on the iPod.

More information will be posted as it becomes available.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Possibly the least exciting thing that could have happened today :)

I already have SO many FM radios everywhere I go... but if some demand is there, why not meet it? Apple may as well offer the option.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
This would have been really welcome a year or two ago... but now, there are almost no FM stations around here worth listening to. Literally, I can think of two stations. :(

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
devilot said:
This would have been really welcome a year or two ago... but now, there are almost no FM stations around here worth listening to. Literally, I can think of two stations. :(
So true. There was an article in the paper just yesterday (or the day before) noting that FM radio has moved to talk because the music industry is driven mainly by iTunes and other downloadable music, not airplay.

And too bad it's not backward compatible.

Ashapalan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
England
i agree, perhaps one of the lesser importances of the day, and for that price doesnt really atract me.

But its interesting to see apple make radio compatibility, i think it gives a hint for what is to come in the next revision.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
The new FM receiver sounds pretty nice, although I’m surprised Apple would spend effort on an “old school” radio peripheral as opposed to doing something with digital radio such as Sirius or XM.

Alasta

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2005
Wellington, New Zealand
I was keen on this when I first heard about it because, whilst I'm not really interested in listening to music radio stations, I would like to be able to listen to talk radio on the way to work in the morning.

Unfortunately, I only have a 4G iPod and I'm not willing to upgrade it at this stage.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
yg17 said:
Meh. The only radio I'm interested in is Sirius.
Yeah, that's like what I said above - I think it's cool, on principle, but when it comes to "radio", the only thing worth paying attention to is Sirius/XM - not plain old radio anymore.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
yawn is the first thing i thought.

i've seen nicer ipod remotes on ebay for the 5G and Nano. for £3.99.

rolfdenver

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2005
Denver, Colorado
First there was the U2 edition iPod...

... if Apple comes up with an iPod with an integrated Sirius remote it could be the Howard Stern edition. Could come complete with a slippery translucent rubber sheath.

L

Lau

devilot said:
Two more than I can think of in the UK....:eek:

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
WildCowboy said:
Here you go...
Thanks for posting that.

Too bad, I don't think it looks that nice and it's quite pricy. Tsk. A bit too late for this. Ah well. At least those other MWSF products/releases are bit more interesting. :D
Lau said:
Two more than I can think of in the UK....:eek:
Eh. To be fair, one station has recently gone downhill (since Jan. 1st-- they implemented some changes that just... no... bad... haha), and the other station is 'over the hill' a good 30-40 minute drive away. So it's more like, barely one station per region that I can think of.

The good thing? I've been using my Nano a whole lot more.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
For those that have a 4G model, you can get an iFM from Griffin. They've had them out for awhile now. Same type of thing, with recording.

L

Lau

devilot said:
Thanks for posting that.

Too bad, I don't think it looks that nice and it's quite pricy. Tsk. A bit too late for this. Ah well. At least those other MWSF products/releases are bit more interesting. :D Eh. To be fair, one station has recently gone downhill (since Jan. 1st-- they implemented some changes that just... no... bad... haha), and the other station is 'over the hill' a good 30-40 minute drive away. So it's more like, barely one station per region that I can think of.

The good thing? I've been using my Nano a whole lot more.
There was one here called XFM that played quite good indie music a few years ago, but it's gone downhill too. I don't mind, say BBC Radio 4, for discussion and the like, but when I'm on the move I listen to music. And I'd rather listen to music I like (which is, coincidentally, loaded onto my iPod ;) ) than have some DJ choose it (badly) for me. And that's not including the DJ shouting on between the songs, or irritating adverts.

So a big <shrug> from me regarding this. And it seems a lot of people who have wanted this for a while are saying "too late" by now. However, for the people who listen to radio, I guess it's a good thing, and it's quite a nice design. When I heard "wired remote" I imagine my friend's 80s video player with the remote on a long wire. :D