Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrVegas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
Columbia, Md.
Currently I use my iPod (3rd gen) exclusively on Windows XP. I just bought a G5 Mac and I want to ultimately use the iPod exclusively with the Mac.

Is it possible to actually download songs from the PC to the iPod -AND- download songs from the Mac to the iPod (until I get all my music moved over from the PC to the Mac)???

Thanks!

mcmav37

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
I believe your iPod should work fine with both computers--but only one at a time.

As soon as you sync with your Mac, all the songs on the iPod from the PC will be lost unless you transferred the song files over to the Mac first. The same thing would happen if you were trying to sync an iPod with 2 Macs (or 2 PC's for that matter). This is to prevent users from carrying their entire music library on their iPod and then just uploading it to every computer they come across--piracy is bad.

So, the answer is yes -AND- no.

iminimac

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2005
I would try and send your music collection as quickly as possible
you could either send it over a file sharing program or IM Service such as MSN

or you could burn it to CDs or place it on a external hard drive or memory stick

dont worry if it takes you a while to run your ipod off your mac - it wont mean your ipod will run any better

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
It shouldn't take all that long to transfer all the music over..."all that long" being a relative term. :) An easier way than had been mentioned would be to get a program that allows you to download directly off the iPod. I use Senuti. There are tons out there, though, so other people can suggest other ones. With a firewire connection, I think my 10GB iPod took about 30 minutes or something? It's been so long ago, but the transfer time wasn't very long at all.

Patriotsv4

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2004
iminimac said:
or you could burn it to CDs or place it on a external hard drive or memory stick

Just enable disk mode in your iPod, then place the iTunes folder where all your music is stored and then drop it in your Music folder in you Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.