iPod for running

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dwd3885, Jun 25, 2011.

1. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

So I'm a runner and just bought a gps watch. I tried Nike+ before but the calibration just doesn't work like I'd like it to, also Garmin's Garmin Connect web interface is outstanding. Anyway, I want to get an ipod that is light weight that I can use while running. I know the nano's have clips now, also the iPod shuffle's have clips too. So I think either would be perfect. I know Apple will probably announce new iPods soon, but do you think it would be anything drastically different than what is out there now? I'm leaning towards shuffle only because it's cheaper..

2. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

If you are leaning towards the shuffle I would just go for it. Apple have just been playing with the design for a few years. Nothing revolutionary has happened, unless you count voice control. Only thing to consider is the old one will be even cheaper when the new one is out.

3. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

Should I Look for the old 2nd gen shuffle that was similar to the new one? They seem really similar, new one is smaller tho.

4. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Keep an eye on the Apple refurb store online, they can get knocked down to make them dirt cheap. If you want a very simple MP3 to play a few albums you can't go wrong with the shuffle.

The main advantage of the newer ones is the voice control, which gives a little more functionality (choose album, playlist etc). Given that, if you will only use it for working out I don't think the Nano is worth the price difference. If you get the older shuffle they can be really cheap, but you have very little control over what plays.

Personally, I'd look out for a current generation refurb, or even eBay. Cheap and has voice control. If new shuffles are announced later this year the current ones will be easy to pick at a discount.

5. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

great! Thanks! I'll stick with the shuffle.