Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
i had my ipod for little over half a year now, and today it randomely froze 3 times... ne need for concern? or should i just ignore it... the 3 freezes happend when i was selecting songs that arn't corrupted.. yes im running 2.2

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
The only thing i can think of is to reset the iPod by holding down the "Menu" & "Play/Pause" buttons at the same time and hold it until you see it reset then let go. It's a reboot and won't erase your songs or playlists.

If it continues, then I would return it. This happened to me and what would happen is that I'd see the song playing BUT no sound was coming out. Needless to say this wasn't normal and I return it. The promply exchanged it and no problems since.

~e

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
When they exchanged urs, they exchanged it with the model u already owned right? they didn't give u a new one? just wonderin.. c :p

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
They usually give what is in stock, that is if they can find a 3G iPod, thats what you will get. If they can't get one, you get a 4G iPod. That is what is happening with the iBook replacements sometimes. If the logic board fails to many times in a row, they replace it with the new one since the old G3 iBooks are not around anymore in stock.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
well what i ended up doing is actually havin disk utility completly erasing my iPod using the write random zero's option, then opening ipod software utility proggy and having it restore the os'.. afterwards i reloaded my tunes.. and it actually feels snappier now, like scrolling through... i guess that actual FORMAT helped? the unit did get a little hot though during that process, but not much :cool:

rhpenguin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
London, Ontario
if your worried about drive temp boot to diagnostic mode (menu+clicker and when the apple logo is on the screen press rew+clicker) and go to drvtmp option..

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
CubaTBird said:
When they exchanged urs, they exchanged it with the model u already owned right? they didn't give u a new one? just wonderin.. c :p
Mine was fairly new at the time... not even 2 weeks old and they just exchanged it for a brand new one of the same model. I believe, if it goes over 14 days, they send it out for repair but if it's within the 14 days they exchange it with a new one.

~e

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
This happened to my 3G awhile back and i booted into diagnostics mode, ran most all the test, rebooted, and everything was fine again. Consult manual on booting into diagnostic mode as it is different on some models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.