Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cnap11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
Hi, I just purchased a new 40 gig iPod for my Powerbook rev C. I am really disappointed that it simply copies iTunes, so that if I delete any or all my iTunes songs, it simply deletes what I previously synched on the iPod. As an upcoming college student I really dont have the disk space liberty to throw 40 gigs of 47 on the Powerbook towards music. Is there any software fixes for this, where I can delete my Powerbooks iTunes, and while synching not have the iPod delete the missing songs, or will I be forced to spend big bucks for an external hard drive? Thanks so much in advance.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Say again

cnap11 said:
Hi, I just purchased a new 40 gig iPod for my Powerbook rev C. I am really disappointed that it simply copies iTunes, so that if I delete any or all my iTunes songs, it simply deletes what I previously synched on the iPod. As an upcoming college student I really dont have the disk space liberty to throw 40 gigs of 47 on the Powerbook towards music. Is there any software fixes for this, where I can delete my Powerbooks iTunes, and while synching not have the iPod delete the missing songs, or will I be forced to spend big bucks for an external hard drive? Thanks so much in advance.

Can you clarify better as I think web grammar has gotten the better of your question? I don't want to start answering without fully understanding what you're asking.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
My turn

Well let me try this one more time. I have a 3G iPod. I connect it to my PB and copy songs to my iPod. My PB is running low on harddrive space so I delete those songs off my PB and my iPod still has everything on it. Is this what you're saying as I don't understand your syncing question?

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Change your iPod preferences from auto-sync(turn it off). This way you will control what goes in and out of your iPod instead of your Mac. After this when you plug the iPod in it will not automatically erase what's on your iPod.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Jovian9 said:
Change your iPod preferences from auto-sync(turn it off). This way you will control what goes in and out of your iPod instead of your Mac. After this when you plug the iPod in it will not automatically erase what's on your iPod.

You know I was looking for that but couldn't find it so I thought otherwise. That is my set up as I don't want every single song on my iPod.

imnotquitesure

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2004
If you use that method and your ipod goes fritzy, its a technical term, then there goes all your tunes. Its not a bad idea to spend a little money on an external drive. Back ups will save your data one day, trust me. If you used the cram and jam you could use your rebate money to get one. I also find it hard to believe that you need 40 gig of music unless you are using an uncompressed format.

cnap11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
...and he calls himself an English major

Hey sorry for the confusion. At the time that I wrote my post I was so terribly angry; having lost about 14 gigs of music. Needless to say, that took me quite some time to rip onto the hard drive. What I meant to say is this: Is there a foolproof way, other than an external harddrive, where I can continuously delete previously synced music from my computers hard drive and keep those same previously synced songs on my iPod? Im terribly sorry for the complexity, but that is the best that I can do in explaining it. In short, I want the following: 40 gigs of music on my iPod, 0 gigs of music on my laptop. I hope this helps, thanks again

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
cnap11 said:
In short, I want the following: 40 gigs of music on my iPod, 0 gigs of music on my laptop. I hope this helps, thanks again

As Jovian9 said, you need to turn the auto-sync option for your iPod to off. There is a setting called "Manual" that allows you to manage what goes on and off your iPod, go figure, manually. When you connect an iPod in manual mode to your computer, instead of syncing, it will just show up in iTunes and wait for you to add and delete songs.

I hope that my answer is clear, and what you're looking for. But, feel free to ask for clarification.

cnap11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
Thanks alot for the advice...I have one question about the "manual" tip. Where is the option located and how do I get to it? In response to an earlier question, the reason I bought the 40 gig iPod was two fold. On one hand, being in a dorm room restricts space, which negates the concept of me bringing my stereo system in. The 40 gig ships with a dock, so all I need is a set of powered speakers and I'm set. To buy the dock seperately I beleive is 40 dollars, and with a price difference between the 20 and 40 gig models at 100 dollars, I beleive that 60 bucks is a fair price for double the capacity. Secondly, between my father and I, my household contains about 800 albums...and I'd love to get most of them to fit in my pocket. Thanks again

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
When you plug in the ipod, go to itunes and look in the lower right-hand corner of the window. Click on the little ipod icon and there will be a couple of updating options. Select the one that says manually update.

parrothead

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2003
Edmonds, WA
Whatever you decided to do, I suggest making a backup of your music. Either burn the AAC/MP3 files to DVD-Rs or get an external hard drive. They are not that expensive, especially if they are lower capacity (80GB and under). The other good thing about them is the fact that you can back up all your data on them too. Think about spending a semester on a paper and then a roommate spills a drink on the Powerbook. You may lose the computer but if you backed up to the ext. hard drive, at least you wouldn't fail the class too! ;)

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
parrothead said:
Whatever you decided to do, I suggest making a backup of your music. Either burn the AAC/MP3 files to DVD-Rs or get an external hard drive. They are not that expensive, especially if they are lower capacity (80GB and under). The other good thing about them is the fact that you can back up all your data on them too. Think about spending a semester on a paper and then a roommate spills a drink on the Powerbook. You may lose the computer but if you backed up to the ext. hard drive, at least you wouldn't fail the class too! ;)

Agreed. Most people don't realize the value of a backup until it's too late.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.