iPod game Peggle was working great, now it always crashes on launch

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by motulist, Jul 12, 2008.

1. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

I downloaded the game Peggle for my iPod Classic. It was working great for about a month, I played it all the time. Then one day I launched Peggle and it crashed my iPod. And it hasn't opened since, it always crashes my iPod.

I tried unchecking and then rechecking the "sync games" option through iTunes, which removed peggle from my ipod games menu and then put it back in the menu, but the problem remained. All the other downloaded and preinstalled games in my ipod continue to work correctly. I've never done anything crazy with my iPod, everything I've ever done to it has been through iTunes (except for once using podworks to remove songs and put them back, but that was a long time ago).

How do I fix this iPod game?

2. motulist thread starter macrumors 68040

motulist

I fixed my own problem! So I'm posting the answer here so if anyone else searches the forum for how to fix a crashing ipod game, they'll get the answer.

Using the program called Onyx I selected to have Finder show invisible files and folders. Then through the Finder I opened my iPod. Inside the "games" folder I found the folder that contained the broken game in question by recognizing the sound files in that folder, and I wrote down the random number the folder was named as. Then I went to the other subfolder that had that same number within the "games" folder and I deleted the "profiles.dat" file from that folder (after I copied it over to my hard disk for backup purposes first).

Then I unmounted my ipod like normal, fired up the game, and it worked! All of the stored game data is gone, but who cares.

3. gigi167 macrumors newbie

Great Peggle Post

Had same issue with my classic - can't live without Peggle on car rides! Your solution worked. Awesome and thanks for taking time to post your own solution:D