Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPod Games: Naval Battle, Chess and Backgammon

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple released two new games on the iTunes Store from Gameloft S.A.

Chess and Backgammon
Two of the oldest and most popular board games of all time just went digital. Jam-packed with suspense, chess and backgammon put your powers of strategy and concentration to the test as you try to anticipate your opponent's next move.

Naval Battle
Take control of your fleet and fight in extraordinary battles from the frigid Antarctica to the Pacific Rim.

Article Link

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
UK
Naval Battles looks suspiciously like Battleships to me. Looks like it would fill a few minutes on a boring bus-ride quite nicely though!

Comment

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Too bad Bobby Fischer didn't live to see this great moment. Although I don't remember reading that he played iPod games.

Comment

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Now that we've got awesome games like Sonic and Peggle, board games like this are a big yawn.

Comment

chicagostars

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Chicago, IL
maybe tomorrow

I want REAL high quality iphone games that i can pay to download... and i want them NOW!!!

Whoa there friend, don't pop a vein! Don't want slow software development to put you under prematurely. I may not be as passionate as you, but do agree that the time is now for a slate of iPhone/Touch games. Maybe the SDK will usher this along; developing games like chess and backgammon seems pretty straightforward, not to mention other titles like mah jong, sudoku, and a whole host of card games.

Comment

cliffardo2001

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2003
Alright. I'm now officially peeved. I know the SDK for the iPhone/iPod Touch is just around the corner, but we need games soon. And actual games. None of this web app crap.

Comment

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
Gosh, this is just what I asked Apple for.

I always wanted a chess game on my iPod - cool...

Now if they would just make Mahjong compatible with the iPod Classic. I loved playing that on my 5G iPod.

Comment

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
I really, really love Backgammon, but am tired of rubbish implementations.

Has anyone bought this yet? If so...
  • Does it support the use of the doubling cube?
  • Does it support matches (eg, first to 3, 5, 7 etc - with proper implementation of the 'crawford rule') or just individual games?

If not, then I won't waste my money.

SL

Comment

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
AAaahahahahhhhgfggghh!! Where's the MBP update!!! Apple are dorks!

(my impression of a growing number of users on this forum whenever something new, but not new enough, comes along)

-- edit:

The preview for Naval Battle shows extra weapons, and even a volcano. Not your father's Battleship.

Comment

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
So I was gonna get an iPod Touch, but then I saw this...

Now I don't know what to do. I guess I'll just wait until the SDK comes along, and hope I can get Naval Battle for the iPT

Comment

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
*YAWN*

Don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with a nice update to a classic game. These games are fine. They look great and give people the chance to play some great 'ol games.

But, PLEASE oh PLEASE, where is the innovation? The games in the iPod catalog are pretty much >= 25 years old...

How 'bout something... (I'm going to say it, brace yourselves) ... new????

Comment

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
PLEASE oh PLEASE, where is the innovation? The games in the iPod catalog are pretty much >= 25 years old...

How 'bout something... (I'm going to say it, brace yourselves) ... new????

Hack your iPod and come up with something 'new' to play on it that runs smoothly, and I will personally dance around the Pope with a saucepan on my head.

Comment

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
Singapore
HELP!!!

i only have enuf money for 1 game and im stuck between naval battle and the sims pool ;);););)

hahahahahaha.

phase and the pole position are pretty fun to play. donno about the newest 2 tho..
p.s. the graphics actually look pretty darn decent!!!

Comment

Orng

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2007
It's nice to see Backgammon getting some love. I'm a fan of Backgammon. Too bad it won't work on the iPod Touch I'm planning to buy next week!

Also, i think it's a bit of a stretch to say these games "just" went digital; there's the small matter of Mikhail Botvinnik, Garry Kasparov, Deep Thought and Deep Blue, for one thing. Wasn't there a version of Mac Chess on the original Macintosh? Maybe the 512k?

Comment

mikeinternet

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
Oaklnad, CA
Alright. I'm now officially peeved. I know the SDK for the iPhone/iPod Touch is just around the corner, but we need games soon. And actual games. None of this web app crap.

my hacked phone has 2 different chess games that work pretty good.

i agree web apps are worthless

... anyone played these yet? how hard is the chess game, do they have difficulty levels?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.