iPod GCC Compiler Question

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Oral B, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Oral B macrumors newbie

Hey. I recently installed GNU Step's Compiler from Cydia, but I can't figure out where to write the apps. I would rather not have to use a SSH from my computer or wget them from the internet, does anyone know of a way to write and save the apps on the iPod itself?

2. NathanA macrumors 6502a

You mean, how do you type code in, and where do you save the source files to?

Well, you could install a text editor like vim on there (available in Cydia), and you can save the source file(s) anywhere on the filesystem you like, navigating around and initiating project builds using your UNIX shell of choice within MobileTerminal. But honestly, I don't see how entering code directly into an iPod or iPhone can be a practical or comfortable experience. In fact, it sounds downright painful to me.

I'm sure you would be much better off sticking with your favorite text editor or IDE of choice on your desktop and then cross-compiling to ARM; the Xcode ARM compiler included with the iPhone SDK is more than up to the task. No reason to install a compiler directly to your phone, other than for building OTHER people's already-written projects on-the-go (hopefully they're small ones, because anything of moderate size I'm sure will take a while for the build process to complete directly on your iDevice), or for curiosity's sake.

-- Nathan

3. Oral B thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot Nathan! That's exactly what I was looking for. Yeah coding on an iPod would be a pain, I'm just looking for a way to bring my work on road trips until I buy a Macbook. I was thinking I could type it up on my keyboard with my iPad and transfer it over to test it out.
    I installed vim and tried compiling an app, but I got an error saying "library not found for -lgcc_s.10.5", but I already installed the fake libgcc. Oh well, I'll figure it out.
    Once again thanks alot!