Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacKenzie999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2002
Boston
Hi everyone...

I remember hearing a while back that it's a bad idea to let a drive fill up beyond 90% capacity, that this increases the liklihood of failure. I'm not a tech guy, and I've heard variations on this, so it's possible it's just a myth.

My question though, assuming that there is any truth to this suggestion: does this apply to iPod? Mine is getting pretty full, should I be concerned?

Thanks!

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
for the most part, i think that is kind of a myth. In any case, an iPod HD should work fine to capacity, since the MP3's aren't being moved around a lot, just written and deleted. I'm pretty sure lots of use is what can cause problems...

i think this topic has been brought up a few months ago, search and see if you can find any info there--

:)
pnw

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
yeah, the fragmentation that occurs when a drive gets filled nearly to capacity can cause more work for the drive to perform, thereby decreasing it's life span. But not actually make it more prone to immediate failure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.