Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SlimPickens

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
I think that Apple missed a big point of people buying high end flash memory mp3 devices --- they don't skip. Until I am confident that I could take an iPod jogging with me and bang it around... I can't see buying one. Even the mini iPod appears to be a device that could not handle rigorous activity (sweat, repeated jarring, etc.) I'm looking for a model a la a "Sony Sports" type style of Walkman.

I don't see this a market that Apple appears interested in.

oyearian

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2004
Well, I don't jog and so can't speak to that particular concern, but I do use my "g3" iPod a _lot_. I use it on the bus, running up and down stairs at work, taking out the trash, going shopping, etc. etc. ad nauseum. I've never had a problem with it skipping.

Your point about design is well taken, though. Apple has, as usual, a very well defined target market for both iPod types and it's entirely possible that they've missed your desired feature set entirely.

SlimPickens

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
I've heard from some who say that they've taken their iPods jogging without a problem... then I've heard from others who have problems every time after the 20 min or so buffer runs out. I guess everyones style is different. And for 250/300 bucks... it's expensive to test out. I run a lot... and I know how upset I'd be if every 30 minutes of a run I had to re-boot my iPod.

I guess my point is that Jobs made it out that people must be stupid to pay 200 bucks for a device that only holds 256 megs... but my understanding is that as long as the device is only hard drive based it looks like there is the potential for skipping. Apples plan seems to be that their device should be able to hold an entire library's worth of songs.

I wish there was an affordable 20Gb flash memory card. But then I guess my music collection would outpace it by then.. :) Tradeoffs....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.