iPod Headphones Quality

Discussion in 'iPod' started by dingdongbubble, Aug 31, 2007.

1. dingdongbubble macrumors 6502a

I would like to know how is the quality of the headphones included with the iPods. Do they sound really good compared to other headphones? Which category would you put them into? High end, crappy low end or middle ground good for most people.

How do movies sound with them on a computer? Do explosions and sound effects really stand out?

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

They aren't bad, but there are better available...for a pretty steep cost.

I have Shure e4c's that sound remarkable, but they were quite expensive. For most people's needs, the earbuds bundled with iPods are really quite adequate. In fact they sound quite good.

3. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am not looking for expensive headphones. I am looking for cheap ones that sound great. I am not an audiophile.

4. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

Then you'll be more than please with the iPod headphones:)

5. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cool so its going to blow away most unbranded headphones and some bundled ones in branded products?

6. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68030

SactoGuy18

If you want good headphones that replace the Apple iPod earbuds I'd recommend the following models:

Creative Labs EP-630 (US$30 at most retailers)
    Maximo iM-390 (US$30 from an online retailer)

Both have way better sound than the iPod earbuds. :)

7. Mugetsu macrumors newbie

I just bought my girlfriend a pair of Shure SE530 earbuds....
    ...yeah, $500 for headphones...
    but I must say that they were super super comfortable.
    and the sound was amazing. I was hearing notes, instruments, and voices in songs that I have never noticed before.

8. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68030

SactoGuy18

The Shure SE530 costs WAY too much money for my good taste. :eek: I'd rather get the Shure SE310 for under half that price and get almost as good sound. :)

9. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I think the ipod phones are decent pack-ins, but as others have said aren't outstanding when the aftermarket is concerned.

I like the Sennheiser CX300 for non 'audiophiles'. Relatively inexpensive at 50 bucks or less, a solid 2 year warranty and works quite well, keeps out a bit of outside noise. Similar to the EP's mentioned earlier.

But you do get more sonic bang for the buck with headphones, not earphones. As an example, a good ~$200 closed phone virtually matches, if not exceeds, the $400+ Shures mentioned earlier. So if your use is more laptop centric, consider a decent pair of cans too.

10. SuperDaddy macrumors member

iPod ear buds KILL my ears. And I'm not talking about the volume......it's the fit. I can only wear them for 1 minute. Then I am ready to keel over in pain.