Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

x_factor_theory

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2005
Hi there! I am a bit confused! I put 2500 new songs into my itunes last night, and once that was finished I attached my ipod to my computer to transfer my new library to the pod. It flashed the "do not disconnect" message, so I assumed it was working. I left it plugged in overnight, and it was still flashing the same message this morning. I safely removed my ipod and then checked to see if ANY of the songs had transferred. No luck. I don't understand what happened! I thought all you had to do was plug the ipod into the computer via USB to high speed port, and the rest was taken care of by the computer/pod. What am I doing wrong? I reset the ipod last night before I attempted the transfer. Also, I have a PC, not a MAC. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
x_factor_theory said:
Hi there! I am a bit confused! I put 2500 new songs into my itunes last night, and once that was finished I attached my ipod to my computer to transfer my new library to the pod. It flashed the "do not disconnect" message, so I assumed it was working. I left it plugged in overnight, and it was still flashing the same message this morning. I safely removed my ipod and then checked to see if ANY of the songs had transferred. No luck. I don't understand what happened! I thought all you had to do was plug the ipod into the computer via USB to high speed port, and the rest was taken care of by the computer/pod. What am I doing wrong? I reset the ipod last night before I attempted the transfer. Also, I have a PC, not a MAC. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

OK, I'm gonna go for the easy question, with the iPod attached, do you see it in the left hand column of the iTunes window (the source column)? If yes, you should click on the iPod button in the bottom right of the main window and check that you haven't inadvertently selected "manually manage music and playlists" if this is on you can either set it back to auto or keep it on manual and drag and drop the music from the library onto the iPod in the source column.

If this doesn't work, there may be something wrong and we'll need more info.

PS - please use more informative titles for your posts when you want help.
PPS - Your PC has a MAC, a Mac also has a MAC but a Mac is not a MAC. ;)
PPPS - the "do not disconnect logo will flash unless you eject or the iPod finishes autosyncing, if you have it set to manual or have enabled disk mode, this behaviour is perfectly normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.