iPod hi-fi and new nano?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by giganten, Sep 10, 2007.

1. giganten macrumors 6502a

I know they dont sell the hi-fi anymore, but will go to the store and see if they have any left. Will the new nano work with the hi-fi?
    Or do you think I should go for some other speakers?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

The top of the HiFi has a standard iPod dock connector so if that's the same on the new Nanos then it will fit.

It might not fit perfectly; the Hifi comes with a set of plastic sleeve-thingies that help different iPods fit better into the slot, one of them might fit. But if they don't you can still fit the iPod onto the metal dock connector. It just wobbles slightly, that's all

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It should work just fine, since it has a Universal Dock built-in, and the new nanos work with the stand-alone Universal Docks. You'll have to use the adapter that comes with the nano if you want to make everything sit flush and look pretty.

4. angrygolfer macrumors 6502

I know it's off topic but OP, you should really check out the Bose Soundock. It really sounds much better then the Hi-Fi and I think its cheaper.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I think this review sums it up quite well. From the few times I tried the SoundDock out, it couldn't match the iPod Hifi in terms of clarity and oomph at high levels at all.

That's why I like it, it's great for outdoors, good inside too, if not placed against a wall. But it's not my main stereo, it lives in the kitchen where it's very happy indeed. :)

6. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I used my new 8GB nano in my iPod Hi-Fi earlier today and it worked fine in its universal dock adapter plate.
    The only problem is that you don't get the 'Speakers' option on the main menu like you did with the older nanos and 5Gs so you don't get iPod Hi-Fi specific options like tone control and fullscreen album art.
    Any more questions?

7. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that kinda bummed me out and I really hope they decide to fix this in a firmware update soon even though they are clearly not supporting the HiFi much anymore. :(

Anyone else wanna help out by submitting feedback to Apple along with me? :)
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipodnano.html