iPod Hi-Fi as a Speaker System for Macbook?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by theMaccer, Dec 8, 2008.

1. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

I have an iPod Hi-Fi, and I would like to use it as a speaker for my Macbook. I just want to know whether this is feasible, and if so, what cable do I need to get the maximum out of my iPod Hi-Fi?

Thanks for any help.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Sure, it's feasible. The only cost-effective options you have are either an Airport Express and a shielded mini-jack to mini-jack cable if you want some distance between you and the iPod HiFi... or just the mini-jack to mini-jack cable on its own which you plug into the headphone socket of the MacBook.

Here's an example, not necessarily a specific product recommendation.

3. descartes macrumors 6502

it works but i seemed to be getting a ton of feedback when I used the hifi with my imac. not sure what was causing it. I ended up getting regular computer speakers.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You shouldn't be getting any feedback at all. You didn't plug it into the mic input on the Mac, did you? :D

Do you mean some other kind of signal? e.g. hum?

5. descartes macrumors 6502

pretty sure it was not in the mic input but I wouldnt put it past me. :) I guess it was more of a hum. Now that I think about it, it may have been my iphone charging next to it.

6. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Or an iPod docking bluetooth receiver. It's what I use whenever I feel the need to have my tunes from my MBP on the iPod Hifi. Cheap (mine was - about £11 rather than my example!) and cableless.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

That's a good idea. Never seen them before. How does iTunes work with? Or is that done through Bluetooth setup?

8. nineohtoo macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

I hate to bump an old thread, but I'm curious about these adapters myself.

I've been using airfoil for VLC(w/delay) and Pandora, as well as AirTunes on my MacBook and love the lack of wires dangling around. However I spend a lot of time on Hulu but it has no options to get around the audio delay like VLC. Will using a bluetooth adapter like that solve the issue, or will I still find a delay of some sort? Thanks.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You are going to find the delay as long as you continue to use AirTunes. Good job though, bumping old post is a good idea. (that was not sarcasm)

10. nineohtoo macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

^Yeah I understand that there's going to be lag over the wifi, thats why I use the delay with VLC. But I was wondering if the bluetooth adapter would make audio sync(particularly from hulu).