iPod HiFi to disappear ?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Devil's Refugee, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Devil's Refugee macrumors 6502

No great loss imo

2. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

There are so many great cheaper alternatives out there that it seems pointless to keep it.

3. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

They need to cut the price in half and add AirTunes support, then it would be unique and have a special spot in that over-saturated market.

4. dcv macrumors G3

I'll be a tad annoyed if they suddenly slash the price as I just bought one as a birthday present for my sister!

But why should they do away with it? Yeah there are loads of other iPod speaker systems out there but the majority of them are cheap tinny crap. The Bose one is the most overpriced of them all - it's expensive, a very old model now, doesn't run on batteries (unless there's a new model I don't know about) and the sound is dreadful compared to the Apple one.

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

It does have AirTunes support. In fact, just about all of the iPod speakers have AirTunes support. You just need to add an Airport Express and the appropriate audio cables.

Now, if you're talking about adding wi-fi right into the Hi-fi, then I would think that halving the price would not be possible. But it would be a cool device.

6. bozigle macrumors regular

Why so much hate?

Ok it is overprice compare to others system but for once i'm very happy with mine. it could have wi-fi... it could have video pass-though too. it could have something that prevent the ipod to be so easily knock down... but otherwise...

Ok it's not the best stuff around... i'm happy with mine cause my cats are jumping around and they don't stand a chance to break anything... maybe change the volume...
    So this is great for cat's owner... but sounds is ok and i can carry it around quite easily

There is definitely room for improvement

7. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Yeah, well...pretty much any stereo can be "AirTunes" enabled if it has a line in. You get what I'm trying to say, I want the Hi-fi to have the wi-fi built-in so you can stream directly to it. It's something only apple could do because they control the whole "AirTunes" thing.

Not that i would probably buy a Hi-Fi, too pricey for me and I have a much nicer home stereo and very good computer speakers.

8. yotaguy macrumors member

imo the hi-fi is a stupid product and is WAY overpriced. I think its a complete fanboy product. I am suprised apple still makes them. they definitely dont market them anymore.

my klipsch 2.1 setup sounds worlds more accurate, and has better volume than the hi-fi..yet it cost less than half the price..oh wait it doesnt have an ipod dock? well it has two inputs so i can have them hooked up to my computer and my or a friends ipod at the same time. They also have a headphone jack right on the speaker so i dont have to reach under the desk..oh yea...a dedicated subwoofer.

for $350-$400 you could pick up an entry level 5.1 HTIB setup. You could hook up your ipod, computer, dvd player, tv, cd player..anything you wanted. And it will sound just as good.

Now i am a musician and i do a LOT of recording. I am quite the audiophile. For my mixing i have a set of M-Audio powered monitors, or for really accurate sound i have my ultimate ears custom earphones. I know what good sound is.

Klipsch audio > Apple audio

9. homeboy macrumors 6502

The Apple HiFi is as stupid as a 20 inch gaming laptop. Heavily compromised, too expensive and to heavy to carry around.

For slightly less than 150 dollars you can get a 2.1 Altec Lancing system which offer more crisp sound and more power. As a matter of fact the drivers used in the HiFi are from Altec Lansing They HiFi is priced waaaaaaaaaaaaay offer what it delivers. Yes it's also a dock but still it needs to be more than that in order to be worth 350 dollars. Add a built in airport + s-video out to allow music/video streaming from the computer to the iPod via the HiFi.

Or cut the price in half..........................or discontinue it. People who buy it are no other than irrational Apple fanatics.

10. slu macrumors 68000

slu

It actually amazes me that anyone bought one. I agree with many of the people in this thread. Way overpriced and under featured.

11. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

How many people who hate it own or have owned one? I'm not trying to troll here... but its not that bad. It is a bit expensive, but the sound is pretty good. I bought one for myself and bought the Bose Sound Dock for my aunt and the Hi-Fi blows it away. If one can afford it, its not that bad at all.
    I have heard many of the Altec Lancing systems and they're not too great themselves, same with the JBL.
    In the interest of full disclosure, I did sell my Hi-Fi to help buy the Bose Companion 5 system. That was only because I wanted to be able to use it for movies as well, so I could get surround sound. Only DVD player I have is in my computer :eek: