Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

T4ngent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
I'm about to get an iPod Classic 120Gb with a PURE Avanti Flow speaker dock for my cottage holidays but I also want to use it in my Toyota Yaris via the aux socket.

After days of research and experimenting and listening I had decided to rip my CD's to 128 AAC (VBR) rather than Apple Lossless. I listened and listened on my Mordaunt Short Genie 5.1 surround sound system and I can't tell any difference between the two and using 128 AAC I will be able to get my entire CD collection on there with plenty of room for future music purchases.

Then I wondered if my car will recognise this format. I put some AAC files on a disc and the stereo in the car does not recognise them although it can play MP3's no problem.

Does this mean that if I connect my iPod via the aux socket that it will not work unless I use an MP3 codec to rip my CD's?

I cannot get the iPod for a few days and would love to get on and start putting my music into iTunes so any advice on this point would be very welcome.

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
Then I wondered if my car will recognise this format. I put some AAC files on a disc and the stereo in the car does not recognise them although it can play MP3's no problem.

Does this mean that if I connect my iPod via the aux socket that it will not work unless I use an MP3 codec to rip my CD's?

No, it does not mean that. if your music's on a CD, the CD decoder must know the format. And yours doesn't decode AAC's.

With an iPod plugged in however, it is the iPod that decodes the music and outputs it in "headphone" format to the aux socket of the Yaris. The iPod decodes AAC's just fine :)

T4ngent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
Thanks for that info.

But if I want to use MP3's instead the iPod can handle that OK?
And if I rip my CD's with another program and import them into iTunes will it sync OK with the iPod or if I want to take that route would you advise me to get different media player?

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
The iPod will play both AAC's and MP3's. If the iPod can put a song out through your headphones, it can put it to the Yaris's aux socket too.

If you import to iTunes and sync to the iPod, you have playable music. The source and the ripping program don't matter. For portability, MP3 is a universal format, unlike AAC, so there may be advantages to staying with MP3.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The AUX connection has nothing to do with file types on your iPod. If your iPod will take the files it will play the files through speakers via an AUX connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.