iPod & iPhone Component Cable Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mitch1984, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Mitch1984 macrumors 6502

Mitch1984

Hi, I wondered if anyone can help me, I know that if I buy the Component cable then I can definitely plug it into my Samsung HD TV, however, my TV is wired up to my Hifi.

I was thinking that I could occasionally unplug the cables linking my Stereo and plug in the ipod cables.

However, I'm not sure if my Stereo is too old for Component audio cables, I'm normally up on technology but I'm unsure if component cables will be compatible with old ports on my stereo.

For reference I have the Sony MHC-AG444S
    I have Yellow White & Red sockets in the front.

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    They have 2 different kinds of cables at the apple store. They have a composite cable which has five cables that probably won't be compatible with your stereo. Or they have the component cable with has the red, yellow, and white cables, which should work with your stereo if you put it in the right mode.

p.s. The link you provided doesn't work.

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

No, component is five cables and composite is three.

4. Mitch1984 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mitch1984

Update, I have borrowed someones Composite Cable and connected it up.
    There are five cables. I've plugged two of them into the Stereo and they work, so that answers taht question...

HOWEVER; No video is showing on screen. I have the Samsung LE37R87 & an iPhone 3G.

Where am I going wrong, I read the extension Apple Insider Article about iPod's/iPhones and cables and it looks like it should work with the cable I have??

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Is it the type of cable that plugs directly into the dock connector of the iPhone? The iPhone doesn't have video out capability through the audio jack.

6. Mitch1984 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mitch1984

no it's the one that has a dock connector. It's the apple composite av cable.
    I'm wondering if my tv is incompatible or if it's a bug in 2.1?

7. LoLoTee macrumors newbie

unable to find channel of video output...cable issue?

Can anyone help to enlighten what is wrong - i just bought the component cable for my ipod (2nd gen) cos' my tv has these RGB cable points and i thought it might work for video and audio output.

I tried to do that but i cant seem to find the channel for the output even thought my ipod is showing there is a video output.

does it mean my LCD TV is not compatible?

Thanks.

8. justflie macrumors 6502a

justflie

well, this thread got resurrected...:D

Juuuuuuust in case the OP hasn't figured it out and happens to see this, make sure (in the settings someplace) that the phone is set to output video. I know mine is turned off. I would think that it would turn on when you plug in the video cables, but then again, they might not so it's a quick and easy thing to check.

9. Rivettimoney macrumors newbie

Is there an AV component i could buy that works for the Ipod touch v2.1? Or is there a component for v2.2?