iPod/iPhone cord surged MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Smarterchild, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Smarterchild macrumors member

This morning i went to plug in my iphone 4 PC to Jack cord into my MPB and then right from the socket, it shot out a few sparks and turned off my computer. I had to restart my computer, which loaded thankfully but now the fan is running much faster and louder, My backlight keyboard lights arnt working at all, and there is a "X" in where the battery status is.

I have no idea what is going on and this is the latest model of MBP.

I have the 3 year extended applecare warranty should i wait or is this a problem i will have to take to the apple store?

2. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Take it to the Apple Store after you backup your data. They will most likely replace the whole unit.

3. Smarterchild thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I will backup all my files. What about all my software?

I own lightroom 3, cs5 production suite, and just a few stream games. I do not want to use my 2nd copy of that software.

I set up a time when AppleCare calls me in 2 hours. I'll be talking to them then

4. RKpro macrumors 6502

Might be a damaged ipod cable, that shorted the usb port?

X on the battery indicator means it can't find your battery.

Also if they replace your entire mbp, ask them to swap hard drives with your current unit. That's what they did for me.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They'll probably fix the computer and not replace your HDD; if they do, just reactivate your software and redownload your Steam games.

If you're referring to CS5 for the "2nd license"; just call them up when you need to activate it on a second machine. They are not going to give you crap about it (as long as you don't do it all the time).