ipod/iphone sdk and app store

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by speedy11309, Jun 11, 2008.

1. speedy11309 macrumors newbie

hey all just a couple questions. i recently decided im going to buy a macbook and ipod touch. i dont really have a use for it other than to screw around with them. im a software developer and whats really interesting me is the sdk and being able to create my own apps. i havnt really been paying attention to all this stuff so i'm hoping someone can help me out.

first off, is there a different sdk for the iphone than the ipod touch? if not, the sdk applies to both, just the ipod wont have calling capabilities and the like i'd assume.

secondly, the new app store, during the WWDC i heard steve say something about something being $9.99 for ipod touch owners and free for iphone users. im not entirely sure what it pertains to because i was half listening as i was doing work and streaming it live over the net. was he talking about paying that just to use the app store or what?

and lastly, the app store itself, its usable on the touch, correct? also games like monkey ball or whatever will be usable on the touch? and roughly how large in size will these games be?

sorry for all the stupid questions. i know theyre relatively simple to answer so i hope someone can help me out. thanks.

2. mekopolis macrumors regular

first, you can download the sdk free, but have to be enrolled in the developer program, which is 99 bucks a year, in order to distribute your applications

you can sell your apps for whatever price, 70% revenue stream to you, 30 to apple

the 9.99 touch upgrade is suppose to be a sarbanes Ox. thing of transparent Accounting and accounting for adding value to a product...i think its bs/ but whatever its revenue for apple, so they can continue to do what they do, and at least it is not 20 bucks like the january upgrade

the reason why iphone users dont pay upgrade fees is there is a revenue stream with their monthly bills..

3. mekopolis macrumors regular

Same SDK, but obviously you wont be able to use the applications that require a microphone, a-gps, camera, or any feature that is on the iphone that is not on the touch

Yes its usuable on the touch, as will the games, they haven't given a date as to when the app store will be avaiblable though, some say July 11th when the 3g iphone is released, but the Australian Site says it will be released June 27th, but maybe that is just localized market testing,

the size of the games/apps will vary to what they are basically, just like regular computer games, - i would think their size would run from a few kb's to 500 mb depending upon the application and cache/disk space needed

we will find out soon enough

4. speedy11309 thread starter macrumors newbie

awesome thanks for the info. so now my next question is, if i dont want to release my applications on the app store because i really have no intentions of doing so, do i still have to pay the $99 fee for the developer thing? i just really only wanna make apps on my itouch for now. maybe do something with them down the road, but doubt it. i'm assuming i'm still going to have to pay the $10 fee to put my programs on my ipod because it is adding value to it?

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

You'd still have to sign up for the developer program in order to put the apps on your device. If you don't pay the $99/year, you're limited to the simulator on your mac.

6. mekopolis macrumors regular

true,
    and you are still going to have to pay the $10 fee just to get the 2.0 software which has the App Store in it.

7. speedy11309 thread starter macrumors newbie

dang that kinda sucks. well i guess ill just screw around with the simulator until i get something that i think is good enough to justify that kinda cash. thanks for all the help.