ipod is disabled for 23 million minutes

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by zbest56, Nov 24, 2014.

1. zbest56, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014

zbest56 macrumors newbie

So my friend came to me with her disabled ipod(5th gen running ios 8.0.2 disabled for over 23 million minutes). I told her i would see what i can do, and i found a fix online of changing a file called _locked to _unlocked. I thought this would be a pretty simple fix as ive been able to do similar things with my ipod third generation. however, i plugged this ipod in and enabled hidden files, and nothing shows up. Ive tried it on my mac and my PC. Ive tried several ios file explores, but they all require the device to be used with itunes, which i cant do because it wants me to put in the devices password which is impossible because its disabled. I would like to back up and do a factory reset at this point, but obviously i cant because itunes wont let me backup. She does not have a backup on her computer because she doesnt sync with her computer. I need to be able to have her ipod back to her tomorrow. I cannot do a factory reset without backing up or she loses all her data which is unacceptable. every third party tool apart from gecko toolkit requires the device to be connected to itunes. and gecko toolkit cannot work on a 5th gen to my knowledge. If it is possible to fix without restoring, any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. thirdeyeopen666 macrumors 6502

thirdeyeopen666

The method you tried is for iPod classic and Nano. You'll have to restore this iPod touch unfortunately.

3. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

4. zbest56 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mr Kram you have a good point. I honestly do not know, but i will ask her.
    thethirdeyeopen, thanks. I must have overlooked that. oh well, i guess ill have to reset it. Thanks for the help.

5. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

Seriously, if you don't back up your data, you can't blame anyone else. Tough lesson to be learned.