iPod Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mrtekkid, Mar 3, 2008.

1. mrtekkid macrumors regular

Alright, yesterday while trying to sync my iPod iTunes decides to tell me that it cannot sync because the device cannot be read or written to. The iPod (which is not set to show on the desktop) is also on the desktop which I CANNOT eject cause it says it is in use, when that is the only thing running. I am to the point of formatting the iPod in like...say Disk Utility and clicking Restore in iTunes iPod section.

Yes, the restore feature in iTunesdoes nothing because it says the device can't be ejected....
    So Format the only option? And if so, will iTunes restore everything okay?

I ran the on iPod diagnostics and it did not find anything wrong

2. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Your iPod might be corrupt...try formatting with disk utility (not recommended though)

3. mrtekkid thread starter macrumors regular

Alright. like I said, I was getting to that point. I'm thinking it may be the only way to fix it at this point. I got it about 10 months ago with the back to school deal, so it would be a shame to see it bricked already, but at the same time I think I only ended up paying about 50 bucks for it, if that.... so I guess I cannot be too upset, I would just expect something better from Apple.

What does anyone else think about resolving the issue??

And by the way.... my Select button never really clicked, and when my girlfriend, now ex, first saw it and compared it to her nano, she said that the center button was supposed to click.

Are these things covered by like a one year warranty or anything? I went to the Apple site and put in my serial number for the iPod and I think it told me that phone support was not covered. So could I still call and get it replaced if it would be covered by a warranty??

I guess my Apllecare coverage only covers the computer??

If I format this thing and I end up bricking it... I was thinking I would prolly end up getting an iPod touch.

4. MacBoy108 macrumors 6502

MacBoy108

It looks pretty grim for your iPod, I'd recommend going to have an Apple store person check it out, or selling it for scrap and getting that touch.

5. mrtekkid thread starter macrumors regular

Never thought I would say this, but

Thank God for Windoze.

I downloaded iTunes on Windows while running Bootcamp and Restored on the Windows side which wiped the drive and Windows formatted it.

Now I rebooted back to Mac and I have to restore over here and resync everything. No errors so far.

6. TJones macrumors regular

Can't you do a "reset to factory" from the Mac version of iTunes?

7. mrtekkid thread starter macrumors regular

It would not do a Restore from the Mac iTunes because the device could not be read or written too, et alone ejected. For whatever reason. When switching to Windows it realized it was in Mac format and wanted to reformat it to a Windows format. So I let it do that. Then when I rebooted to Mac the iPod was okay and synced everything fine and ejected without errors. Now I am going to restore it from the Mac side giving it the Mac format again and hope all goes well. A whole long run around in the long run yes, but somehow it worked. And Windows was responsible for fixing a Mac product, because the Mac side wouldn't/couldn't read or write or eject it anymore.

I'm about as confused as anyone else.

8. Kalafut macrumors regular

Kalafut

Tis a sad day in the mac world when windows does something right.

9. mrtekkid thread starter macrumors regular

Tis indeed.

It was a weird bug to say the least. One that almost made me run down the o Apple Store to figure out what was wrong with it. An hour drive was saved by just running Windows. Granted, it was Mac software on Windows that solved the problem, but the Mac OS wasn't liking my iPod as a whole anymore.

Glad I fixed it. Those iPod touches look nice, but aren't worth the money yet. I would've bought the Classic again, mainly because of the more space. It think it's time to get rid of my Dell Aximx51v on ebay with the cradle and whatnot and see how much I can get for it. Haven't touched it in about 9 months now since it isn't that friendly with my Mac even with syncing software it never wanted to work right.

Turn the money I get from that into money towards my Slingbox Tuner and maybe in the future an iPod Touch which looks like it would be a bit more useful for me after this iPod battery dies.