iPod ipod issues

minty-freshness

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2006
how do i change the format for my ipod nano from windows to mac? i can't get the ipod updater because it is in the windows format... any suggestions?

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
Plug it into your mac and search for iPod updater with spotlight. Open it and click restore. It should be all good for your mac. Hope this helps.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Restoring it (reformatting it in other words) is the only way. I leave mine formatted for Windows because that means all my machines can recognise it. :)

minty-freshness

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2006
is it REALLY THAT HARD TO REPLY TO ANY OF MY POSTS!? ALL I WANT IS SOME HELP. I WANT TO BE TREATED LIKE EVERYONE ELSE DOES. IS THAT REALLY TOO HARD!?:mad:

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
minty-freshness said:
is it REALLY THAT HARD TO REPLY TO ANY OF MY POSTS!? ALL I WANT IS SOME HELP. I WANT TO BE TREATED LIKE EVERYONE ELSE DOES. IS THAT REALLY TOO HARD!?:mad:
you really need to calm down. not everyone here has an answer to your question. you were given two options: reformat it using apple's iPod updater or keep it formatted as a windows iPod. if you don't want to lose your settings, it looks like you're going to have to keep it under the windows setting. there's no other way. mad jew's solution seems good for what you need to do.

minty-freshness said:
thanks for the help.. but i don't want to reset it to the factory settings.
would the settings really be difficult to get back? if you so badly want it to be mac-formatted, you'll have to restore your settings yourself. this, to me, doesn't seem like such a big deal; though, unlike mad jew, i don't have a windows computer that i'd want to keep synced alongside my mac.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Would this unwillingness to reformat possibly have *makes angel face* anything to do with the iPod having music you don't own from someone else's computer on it, my screetchy all-caps friend? :eek: ;) :D

minty-freshness

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2006
yes. actually it would. but i took care of it myself. sorry but i was slightly mad about this for the past 3 days.. plus i dropped my macbook.
brand new, 2.00 ghrtz white macbook.:rolleyes:

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
a windows-formatted iPod works on Mac and Windows. I've proven this with several iPods, including an iPod Shuffle, a Nano, and a 5th Gen Video.

ipodcentral112

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2006
Scarlet Fever said:
a windows-formatted iPod works on Mac and Windows. I've proven this with several iPods, including an iPod Shuffle, a Nano, and a 5th Gen Video.
It will charge with either operating system but you cant sync with both of them if its windows formatted. In other words it wont hook up to the mac OS itunes.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
My Windows-formatted iPod (4G) automatically syncs with my iMac. Of course, it can't be synced automatically with more than one machine though, Mac or PC. A PC-formatted iPod should work flawlessly on a Mac although its name will always appear in capitals on the Desktop. :)

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
Just import your songs onto your mac (using sentui or ipodrip, or a program like that), and then restore your ipod to factory settings (using the latest ipod update, it should be an option) then reload the songs onto your ipod and your done.
I realize this is probably a roundabout way of doing it, but whatever...