Ipod/ Itunes help

Discussion in 'iPod' started by bRITTANyLoPeZ, Jun 22, 2007.

1. bRITTANyLoPeZ macrumors newbie

hey everyone...my mom and i both have ipods and i was wondering if anyone knew how to make 2 different libraries because we both want itunes for our ipods but we cant stand each others music and they keep getting put together when we try to update them..please help if you know how to do this! THANKS!:)

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You could create two separate accounts for the computer.

3. bRITTANyLoPeZ thread starter macrumors newbie

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It depends on the machine and operating system you're running. In OSX this is done through System Preferences. Alternatively you could create two different iTunes libraries by holding OPTION as you open iTunes. This'll give you the ability to create a new library or open an alternative one (for when you'll be switching between them). However, this will probably be more work than it's worth and will most likely result in a lot of double-ups. Instead, I'd recommend using playlists to sync your iPods. That'll give you a selection of the library you already have, plus the ability to weed out all your Mum's music. :)

5. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

As madjew said simplest way would be to create a playlist of your music, and have your mom create a playlist of her music and set each ipod up to sync to the corresponding playlist. You can also browse the playlist in itunes like the normal view of the library. I like to have all the music together so you don't have duplicates and you know where it is all stored. Then you just run your itunes library together, but you only browse through your music on the playlist..

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

In System Preferences, go to "Accounts." You will see a list of all of the current accounts on your computer, and at the bottom of the list you'll see a "+" button that will allow you to add another account.

In doing this, you'll have two completely separate computer accounts, and these two accounts will be treated like two separate computers. ...Everything will be independent (e.g. iTunes, Documents, iPhoto, Dashboard, Bookmarks, etc.).

...This may not be ideal for everyone, but most families that share a computer find it very useful.

EDIT: I'm just a little slow. :eek: