Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
Samsung also has a 3 Gig phone, but however, I think they would need a good software such as iTunes to support them before these phones can take off as a good mp3 player. Although I used my phone as a mp3 player as well, it is more out of convenience and I would still take my iPod on longer trips

inlimbo

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2005
Sydney, Australia
Yeah I saw this today on ABC's midday news. The reporter was asking people in London (i think) about the new Nokia Phone. It seems people either like it because it means that they just carry one device rather than a phone and an iPod. Others like to have the two separate, because of usability and design.

What do macrumors members think? I actually dont like the idea of combining a phone with an mp3 player. Further, i hope Apple doesn't start to integrate too many things into the iPod. I think the iPods are perfect now (especially now that it seems that they are all going to get colour screens and bluetooth sounds cool). As the old adage goes "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

Even though I hate carrying things around with me. I even hate carrying my wallet and my keys :eek: I would much prefer to have my mobile and my iPod as separate devices. Because when u combine devices you ultimately reduce the functionality by having one device that you previosly had having 2 separate devices.

inlimbo

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2005
Sydney, Australia
Chappers said:
Here in the UK they had almost decided on the news last night that Nokia were going to kill off the iPod.
So believing was the journalist that I almost believed him myself.

Here is the BBC report on it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4489485.stm

Yeah, they reckon that this Nokia phone is going to outsell the iPod. I doubt it very much (merely because everyone has an iPod, why would they want another mp3 player) :p

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
inlimbo said:
Yeah, they reckon that this Nokia phone is going to outsell the iPod. I doubt it very much (merely because everyone has an iPod, why would they want another mp3 player) :p

I wouldn't guarantee that, look how many people in here have more then one iPod. I can think of pro's and con's to having a device like this. I feel like battery life would be a huge issue.

Brian0523

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2005
This phone has me very excited. If it can get along with iTunes I would buy it in a second.

I'm one of those people who never leave the house without my cell phone, and having one that holds music would be a BIG bonus for me. I almost never take my iPod with me on daily trips, unless I'm going to be away for a few days.

Maybe I'm the minority?

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
iPod killers are good because it helps Apple make better iPods. I want a iPod phone with an Apple designed interface and a sync that supports photos, music, address book with photos, Quicktime, iCal, Mail, Safari bookmarks, and storage. Iit should use Bluetooth for transfers in addition to USB 2.0.

No phone does this today.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
No thanks!

It may be the wave of the future, but I don't want to have a Transmitter attached to my body whenever I want to listen to personal music. I don't think people get cancer exclusively from Cellular phones, but I still don't want that much EMI on my body whenever I listen to music.

That is also allot of overhead just for listening to music. You can't tell me the sound quality won't be effected by the Phone when listening to music from it on your Car stereo, or home audio.

My Nokia, Motorola (one for Nextel and one for Sprint) all interfere with my car and home audio. Why would I want something that is going to send sound spikes to my Speakers so close to, and connected to my speakers?

Also, just think of how many more ANNOYING ring tones people will have with these!!

d-fi

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2004
Calgary, Canada
i really do like the idea of a mp3 player in my phone since i always have my phone with me. But i don't think that the phone manufacturers are up to to the challenge to make this work good enough. (not expecting perfection :))

The main issue with this phone i see is battery life. now according to New Scientist

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7312

this phone uses the same harddrive as the ipod mini and if the phone is in 'active use' i.e. your using the mp3 player, it will get 4-5 hours of use. Now for me that isn't acceptible. the one thing that i need to be working for at least 12 hours a day is my phone.

People i think will be quite upset when their fancy phone quits because they used their 'mp3 player' too much that day or they forgot to charge it the night before :)

although i think that flash based mp3 phones will do better a gig of space is quite usefull.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
i think this is the way to go,

everyone cares a phone, a lot of people carry and ipod or ipod mini...why not carry one that does both?

yes yes ipod does music only but better...yadayada some people think it should stay that way, but i think the majority of the population would dig something like this. Hopefully the itunes phone will be amazing.

maybe there should be a pull of the above opinion

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.