iPod LEMONS

Discussion in 'iPod' started by meh, Apr 15, 2007.

1. meh macrumors newbie

I'm on my 5th iPod 4th gen 20gb, and it may be my 5th lemon.

What are the odds?!?!?!?

iPod #1 = hard drive malfunction
    iPod #2 = hard drive malfunction
    iPod #3 = hard drive malfunction(actually shrieked as it died, pretty funny)
    iPod #4 = battery died(2 months after apple care expired of course)
    iPod #5(current) = I don't know

iPod #1 was new. #2-4 were replacements, refurbed most likely.

I bought #5 through apple's battery replacement program. 60$ for another refurb.

This one has had 2 problems so far.
    It would go back to the main menu though I didn't direct it to do so. I'd try to change the volume, nothing happened, looked at it and found it's at the menu and instead of changing volume I'm navigating.

Applied the 5 R's.

Now it's pausing randomly on it's own.

Applied 5 R's again, waiting.....

I'm fed up. This is ridiculous.

As you can see by my sig I'm the proud owner of a business class pc. Finally saved the $ to get a mac and am currently playing the wait/don't-wait game w/ macbook pros. Also hunting for a mini steal on eBay.

I seriously hope this is not an indication of the quality I can expect in my future MBP. Hope not, though I'll be watching it like a hawk.

If this one is another lemon I'll have to bring it back and ask for my 60$ back.
    Don't want ANOTHER 4th gen lemon.

Has anyone else had this kind of repeated experience w/ the iPod?

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I'm on my third or fourth (cant remember) iPod Photo. The first one was fine for about a year and then it froze. the second one wouldn't charge. And I don't know what happened after that but my new one is ok.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I've had running problems with my 4th gen which has had the drive replaced in it... some say it's due to the Toshiba hard drives, striction being a word that gets occasionally bandied about...

Others say it's the FW interface, that it's too prone to corrupting drives if they're not unmounted properly.

I dunno, but there seems to be more anecdotal reports of 4th gen ones being plagued by the same probs. If I can keep my current and intermittently working one going until the new 6th gen ones come out, I'll be pleased.

4. meh thread starter macrumors newbie

wow

Now I'm tempted to just bring it back for the refund and get the lowest price nano I can find and be done w/ 4th gen.

I won't miss it.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Mind you, I've never bought a Mac — for work or home — that's as unreliable as my iPod has been.

6. shaley09 macrumors newbie

I have an ipod video and for a little over a year and haven't had any problems. I've got several friends whos mini's have gone on the fritz, though.

7. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Wow, terrible luck. I had the same misfortune with my iMac purchases...5 lemons.

Strangely, we've owned 5 ipods:
    3G 20GB
    4G 20 GB
    3 x 5 G 30 GB

And not one defect!

8. meh thread starter macrumors newbie

5 bad iMacs

hmmm

I guess it's hit or miss no matter what you buy

I've been lucky, my pc has been running for >5yrs, I leave it running 24/7. Had to replace the harddrive and add memory but thats very minor. after 5 yrs it's only starting to act tired, and I think it only needs a new fan.

when an iMac goes bad do you diagnose it yourself, or just bring it in?

you must have had the extended warranty